Sign in to follow this  
WoolleyBass

Pflueger Trion GX-7 Spinning Reel

Anybody have one? My dad has the president and loves it. I need a new spinning reel for this season that isn't going to cost me a fortune. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank's, Roby

Toughest $40 reel out there. When the naysayers come along, ask them if they actually own one. That usually shuts them up. Mine is going on three years old and literally hundreds of fish. The only thing I don't like too much is the rosewood handle as it can get slippery in the rain. Pflueger's Sure Click bail is solid. Line management is good, drag is more than adequate. A very well made reel, especially for $40. A thorough clean and lube every year is all it needs.

Beware of this crap that always comes up on these threads "For an extra $50 you could have a blah blah blah" Ask them to send you the fifty bucks.

I picked up a couple on the Flea Market a little while ago, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They're surprisingly smooth, but I'm definitely not digging the rosewood handle. Something will have to be done about that if I decide to keep them.

I have a trion ulgoing strong after about 4 years and I had a 3750 that I gave to my son inlaw, worked perfect.  I agree about the rosewood handle, all in all it's a workhorse that won't fail.

I have three Trions and two Presidents.  I hate rose wood handles but the rest of the reel is outstanding for the price.  One of the best values out there.  Look up BPS for the item and read the dozens of user comments. That may help you out.  If Pflueger made a handle option with a T rubber grip I would replace them for the right price.

i'm a pfluger fan and i will tell you to never buy a reel with a graphite frame.the president xt is the lowest i would go in the pflueger lineup.