Sign in to follow this  
hmongkidBee

Need help with nitro reel

guys I need your advice.  I took apart my bass pro nitro reel to clean it out thoroughly and greased the gears and oiled the bearings.  Anyways I put the reel back together, but am having trouble with the left side plate.  That's where the braking system is located.  Anyways I took it apart and after I put it back together,  it's not working properly.  So could someone tell me how to fix this.  Thanks

Need more details.  What exactly isn't working?

you know the brake ring holder assembly and the brake ring holder spring.  I don't know why but it's going in right however I can't turn the centrifugal control knob.  In other words it turns but doesn't turn a little at a time.  Instead it turns completely to the left or the right.  I don't know what's wrong but those three parts are what's giving me trouble right now.

It's hard to say without seeing the reel or a schematic.If there is a dial or Knob it should be for a magnetic brake. Make sure that the the dial is on the lowest setting and the brake is in the same position. Does the dial have a clicker?

Post pics , we'll try to help

T

those parts mesh together at a certain spot. you need to take them back out and look very closley at how the dial would turn the brake adjuster. then set the brakes all the way off or all the way on. put the dial in at the same on or off position. wiggle it to see that it did engage, then put it back together. It's also quite posible that you broke a plastic tab off of the dial or the lifting mechanism the dial moves.

for future reference, unless the area under the brake drum is packed with dirt, it's not necesary to remove those parts to clean the reel. simply swish the sideplate around in hot water/simple green mixture and use brushes to clean under there. dry it off and use a small brush to put a dab of grease on the gears. You can put a thin film of oil around the dial  to make that turn smooth

here's the picture regarding what I can't do.  I'm clueless now because I put it back together but it doesn't work correctly.  Anyways here's the picture:

CIMG0125.jpg

for future reference, unless the area under the brake drum is packed with dirt, it's not necesary to remove those parts to clean the reel. simply swish the sideplate around in hot water/simple green mixture and use brushes to clean under there. dry it off and use a small brush to put a dab of grease on the gears. You can put a thin film of oil around the dial to make that turn smooth

That's correct , I never take mine apart. Sorry, I'm no help

T

those parts mesh together at a certain spot. you need to take them back out and look very closley at how the dial would turn the brake adjuster. then set the brakes all the way off or all the way on. put the dial in at the same on or off position. wiggle it to see that it did engage, then put it back together. It's also quite posible that you broke a plastic tab off of the dial or the lifting mechanism the dial moves.

This is what I was saying but a little more detailed. If you want to, give me a call when you attempt again: 973-459-2835

Mike