Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

Jig and Worm line?

Just curious what line do you all use for jigs and worming? Mono, Fluoro, Copoly? lb. test?

I currently use Yo Zuri Hybrid 10#, Im beginning to feel that its too light for this application.  Should I go straight fluoro in 12# or higher?

I use 6lb for worms on my spinning rid, and 10 or 12 on my baicaster for jigs and weighted worms.. :D I have even caught 5lb bass on 4lb.. :)

Oh..line is YoZuri Hybrid Ultrasoft.

For jigs I usually like P-line Floroclear in 12,15 or 20 lb test.  Or I like 30 lb braid for heavy cover and/or dirty water.

Worms if I'm fishing em on spinning gear, like a shakey head, its 8# Pline floroclear; or 10# to 15# on baitcast gear.

Its such a wide range for me cause I fish everything from "finesse" to "gorilla" tactics depending on lake, cover and conditions.

Remember , for both worms and jigs or any other bait, to match your line size with you hook and with your rod action/power.  Lighter lines should be used with light wire hooks, for me 10 lbs and below I always go with the lighter hooks.  If you throwing 15 or higher then I use the heavier gauge hooks.

Similarly don't try to throw 10 lb on a 7ft H rod.  Match the rod action/power with the correct line.  Use whats printed on the rod as a guide, though you can usually vary a little from that within  2 to 5 lbs.

The type of line depends on many different things such as:

1. type of cover

2. water clarity/depth

3. Specific technique your using for jigs and worming.

4. fishing pressure

Braided line: In cover (vegetation/wood) go with braid, but if you could get away with heavy mono go for it.

Fluorocarbon line: Finesse fishing/flipping jigs in wood, dropshotting, deep/clear water, and highly pressured water.

Mono line: good for all around purpose

If you only own a few rods/reels, pick the type of line/pds. test that best suites you for your all around applications.

Here check out these threads, hope it helps!

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/selecting_line.html

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/braided_mono.html

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/fluorocarbon_line.html

Thanks for the responses so far! I use casting gear for jigs and worms, I fish city lakes mainly and there is sparse cover and a lot of fishing pressure.  Im thinking about picking up some 12# Yo Zuri, I have not had trouble with this line ever.  Also I was contemplating straight fluoro for these applications, if I went the straight fluoro route what pound test would be beneficial given the circumstances and conditions that I fish?

Depends on cover you are fishing in/around, and hook wire diameter. 10 mono/CoP and a 5/0 Superline hook is asking for lost fish. 10# is at the very light end of a Med weight jig/worm setup. Below that is finesse.

IMO, a medium power setup for skirted jigs and T-rigged worms, say, would be 12# or 14# lines -diam at .012 to .014, since break ratings are all over the place.

As to FC, IMO you gain little but the rather large price increase, for water less than 8feet deep.

I use braid a lot, (usu 20#w/spinning, 30# w/casting) which casts further, offers exceptional sensitivity, thin diameter, and you can add any leader you want. I carry leader spools in my tackle bag to cover any situation. Only drawback to braid I see is in strong wind -it gets blown around a bit. FC tames wind the best, 2nd is water saturated mono/CoP -keep the spool damp and it will saturate in 10min.

I picked up some Trilene 100% fluro..and I don't get bit anymore with that, than I did with YoZuri ultrasoft in mist green.. :D

I'm really liking braid, but like Paul said, the wind blows it all over the place, even when I tossin swimbaits with it..definitly consider it though.