Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

The bait monkey ain't just about baits.

OK, so I made an executive decision to replace a couple of Johnny Morris spinning reels with Shimano Saros reels. There are a couple of things about them that are annoying to me, but they are still in excellent condition.

The Saros were purchased, and put on the rods.

As I thought about it, it seemed a shame for the two reels to just sit on the shelf.

Might be a good idea to get a couple of cheap rods, and I could use them as loaners. After poking around a bit, the rods I settled on were a couple of medium Carbon Lite rods, at 70 bucks each.

They were certainly light, they looked okay, so why not? All my other rods are BPS extremes, nitros, JM signature and one finesse rod.

I put the Johnny Morris reels on them, and they just felt awkward. So, I tried a Saros on one, and it felt much better, to me anyway.

Another executive decision was made. Put the JM reels back on the rods from which they came. After all, I had caught a lot of fish with them, and put the new Saros reels on the Carbon Lite rods.

Maybe down the road, I'll make another attempt to replace those JM reels, then buy two more rods for those reels, and the cycle begins anew.

Yep.  Been doing the same thing here.  Winter and lack of fishing time will drive you nuts.

Yep. Been doing the same thing here. Winter and lack of fishing time will drive you nuts.

Don't tell me Tennessee Ern, your last name isn't Ford by any chance?

Pass through Bristol along I-81 a couple of times a year when we go to visit our daughter in GA.  I-95 to I-85 is a bit shorter, but nowhere near as nice a ride.  A lot more traffic and a lot more tolls.

I know exactly what your saying, Ive spent $450.00 on two baitcasting setups with in the last couple months. and ive never fished one before.

come on spring

Same boat. Can't fish? BUY! Disgusting. I will be over-prepared come spring -once again.

Some ask, do we over think our fishing? I'll say: Only in the winter.

Tom, I bought a CL M too. Been casting it in the snow out there. Perfect :) M rod in my book. It begs for the proper reel.

I've already bought all the stuff I think I'm going to need for this spring and summer, and I'm buying stuff for next winter...or this winter if it stays cool enough. I'm dying to try out my new float'n'fly setup...

Same boat. Can't fish? BUY! Disgusting. I will be over-prepared come spring -once again.

Tom, I bought a CL M too. Been casting it in the snow out there. Perfect :) M rod in my book. It begs for the proper reel.

\

Please tell me the Saros 2500 is in the list of perfect reels for that rod.  If it isn't don't tell me what reel is perfect.

I don't need an excuse to spend more money on reels, only to have to look for a couple of rods for the "imperfect" Saros reels I just got.

The BPS clearance prices at the end of 2009 got me. Bought a bunch of rods and several reels. Waiting on the Spring Classic sale to get two more reels. THEN, I'm done for a while (hear that bait monkey). Discretionary income after those next two reels will be going to outfit the new canoe I have inbound right now :)

\

Please tell me the Saros 2500 is in the list of perfect reels for that rod. If it isn't don't tell me what reel is perfect.

I don't need an excuse to spend more money on reels, only to have to look for a couple of rods for the "imperfect" Saros reels I just got.

I have no opinions. I couldn't possibly do that to you Tom lol. Others here have more experience with modern reels than I do. I still use my old Quicks and Zebco Cardinals n such.

(But I coveted a US Reel 3G 250 I saw at BPS -on clearance. I left in a cold sweat.)

The BPS clearance prices at the end of 2009 got me. Bought a bunch of rods and several reels. Waiting on the Spring Classic sale to get two more reels. THEN, I'm done for a while (hear that bait monkey). Discretionary income after those next two reels will be going to outfit the new canoe I have inbound right now :)

That canoe probably won't come with a rod rack. Here's a fairly simple, inexpensive rod rack that you can copy for your canoe.

DSC03358.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

That canoe probably won't come with a rod rack. Here's a fairly simple, inexpensive rod rack that you can copy for your canoe.

Ha - I did my homework already. I have both of those photos in my project file. I will be combining your horizonal rod rack idea, with Lard_Bass's rig where he has his electronics and rod-holders mounted on the crossbar for the outriggers. Then a good trolling motor and I'm set. Some budget limitations to consider but by mid-summer I hope to have it rigged up.

In this case, my bait monkey was a boat monkey ;D