Sign in to follow this  
mx495

Question about reel cleaning and one about "super tuning"

I am new to baitcasters and just got two reels I've been practicing with all winter. One older BPS Extreme. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and "super tuned" it. Seems like an improvement, but its an older reel so possibly its just the cleaning and re oiling, anyway I was wanting to do the same to my Daiwa Capricorn that is new. I disassembled it and the pinion shaft is plastic, I assume I would just leave this real alone and not try to mess with it as it is plastic riding on brass. I thought about just polishing the pinion gear and seeing if it made a difference.

Question 2. Does the bearing or one way "clutch," not sure what it is called, get oil or grease? I assume grease since it is a bearing, even though it is a roller bearing and not a ball bearing.

Thanks for any help.

modern one way bearings work best with a light coat of oil after cleaning. Saturate a q-tip with reel oil and run it around the inside in the direction the crank turns. As for you statment about grease. You can grease the bearings that go on the crankshaft, if you have a way of greasing them, but you should use one or two drops of oil on spool bearings

Thanks. Thats what I did on the bearings you mentioned, I just didn't know exactly what to do with the one way bearing.

In general, oil bearings and grease gears. Always be sure to completely remove old lube to prevent possible compatibility issues. One drop of light oil on the spool bearing races is sufficient. Use only a specifically designed drag grease on drag washers. Feel free to PM if you need a hand.

Mike

I would suggest soaking bearings in lighter fluid/camp stove fuel repeatedly until the fluid remains clear. Set them on a paper towel to draw out as much as possible. Spin them on the end of a sharpened pencil and let sit for a while. Lube lightly and give another spin.

The "one way bearing" is not a bearing at all, though it is commonly called that. It is a sprag clutch.

"A sprag clutch is a one-way freewheel clutch. It resembles a roller bearing, but instead of cylindrical rollers, non-revolving asymmetric figure-of-eight shaped sprags are used. When the unit rotates in one direction the rollers slip or free-wheel, but when a torque is applied in the opposite direction, the rollers tilt slightly, producing a wedging action and binding because of friction. The sprags are spring-loaded so that they lock without backlash."

It definitely should be lubricated because the  race slides by the "rollers" and is in contact with them.

http://www.alibaba.com/productshowimg/tesilun-10694279-10447157/One_Way_Bearings_Sprag_Clutch_CSK_Series.html

Cool, I knew it was some kind of clutch because that is waht it was labeled in the parts breakdown. Thanks for that info, now I know exactly how it works.