Sign in to follow this  
lupe21

reel maintenance

hey guys i was wondering how would i open a daiwa fuego to put oil it, the reason is that on the manuel it say after every use apply the special sauce

the brake side cover has a slotted screw in the dial. Loosen it and it will pop out on it's spring. You can then rotate the side cover slightly and it will come off. There is a bearing in the side cover that you can put one drop of oil on. Then remove the spool from the open side. there is a bearing mounted on the spool that you can oil. The other bearings in the reel are greased. I don't know why the directions say to do this after every use, but you don't need to or want to. that much oil would flood the bearing and make a mess inside the reel. It would be better to only oil them a few times a year unless you are using them every day. Only use one drop on the gap around the inner race and then spin the bearing to disperse the oil.

the brake side cover has a slotted screw in the dial. Loosen it and it will pop out on it's spring. You can then rotate the side cover slightly and it will come off. There is a bearing in the side cover that you can put one drop of oil on. Then remove the spool from the open side. there is a bearing mounted on the spool that you can oil. The other bearings in the reel are greased. I don't know why the directions say to do this after every use, but you don't need to or want to. that much oil would flood the bearing and make a mess inside the reel. It would be better to only oil them a few times a year unless you are using them every day. Only use one drop on the gap around the inner race and then spin the bearing to disperse the oil.

x2 More is not necessarily better.

The TD-Z oil is very thin, and even a slight amount of water will wash the oil out.  I get quite a few high Daiwas with noisy spool bearings, simply because they are almost dry.  If I use the high speed oil, I will usually hit the reels every three or four trips.