Sign in to follow this  
nralover

Description of a frog rod?

What are the characteristics of this technique specific rod?

balai.jpg

Well heck- I have a couple of those in the garage. No need to spend more cash then:)

although not a technique specific frog rod, i use a loomis mbr844c. prob not the best choice, but i use it for other baits i dont throw too often (small swim baits, large jigs etc)

id get something 7' or longer, fast or extra fast in a heavy power to move fish + salad.

I disagree with the broomstick. Lots of people (including myself) prefer long 7'6"+ rods with a soft tip that will launch a frog really far and also give a little on a hard, no stretch, high drag hookset along with a quick transition into a strong backbone.

Long rod. 7'3 + , I don't like a real broom stick, but I do like a rod with a TON of backbone. I use a Dobyns 736, 7'3 6power, and I also have used a 766 7'6 6power for some frogs.

although not a technique specific frog rod, i use a loomis mbr844c. prob not the best choice, but i use it for other baits i dont throw too often (small swim baits, large jigs etc)

id get something 7' or longer, fast or extra fast in a heavy power to move fish + salad.

I also use the MBR844C and it works great for me...

One thing that is paramount in a frog rod is its length. Use the longest rod you are comfortable with but always remember the longer the better. You also want a rod with a parabolic action. You can get by with a fast tipped rod on smaller fish but on the bigger fish you will lose them a lot of the time if they make a hard surge. And of course you want to have a heavy action rod, at least a 5 power preferably a 6 and maybe even a 7 power rod if your fishing around heavy cover.

I was going to post almost the exact same question till I saw this thread and thought I'd just post here.  I don't mean to hi-jack.  :)

I was just looking for confirmation on the rig I just picked up yesterday with this application in mind.  BPS Pro Qualifier combo, 7'6" H, X-Fast.  I hope this works out ok.. If it doesn't, what other app's might this rig be good for?  Flippin maybe, but would the tip be too fast for effective pitching?Also, I got the 5.2:1 PQ reel to go with it but plan on swapping it out with my existing 6.3:1 Rick Clunn.  I planned on using the 5.2:1 for deep cranking.  Thanks!