Sign in to follow this  
crank

Roland Martin Tournament Grade Rods?

Any opinions on these? considering picking up a couple of these on the Inet so I can't get a feel for them.  I'm looking at the drop shot and light worm rods, neither of which I do often. So they don't have to be fantastic, just adequate. But if they don't rise above the typical $30- $40 graphite rod you can pick up anywhere, I wouldn't bother.

Thoughts?

He advertises the rocket fisherman.

He lost any credibility he had with me when he did that.

I personally don't like him so much, that I wouldn't buy based solely on that. But as for the rod, I'll say what can you really believe? Again he promoted the rocket fisherman.

At that pricing point there are plenty of options

that you can "get your hands on" at any retailer.

8-)

I personally don't like him so much, that I wouldn't buy based solely on that. But as for the rod, I'll say what can you really believe? Again he promoted the rocket fisherman.

Don't forget helicopter lures and flying lures.   ;D >:)

I have one of the Roland Martin Tournament Grade MH 6'6" rods. It is built well but I am not impressed with it at all. It seriously lacks sensitivity. I rarely use it at all any more. There are many other rods in its price range that are worth looking at instead.  When I got it, it cost around $70 and for that price you can get a nice St Croix Triumph or for about $20 more a BPS Carbonlite.

It seriously lacks sensitivity. I rarely use it at all any more. There are many other rods in its price range that are worth looking at instead. When I got it, it cost around $70 and for that price you can get a nice St Croix Triumph or for about $20 more a BPS Carbonlite.

Hmmm. I guess a drop shot or worm rod with no sensitivity really isn't worth much, regardless of how infrequently you use it.

Have you fished the Triumph? I'm considering those too, so glad you mentioned it. I have a PC70MF that I use for soft jerk baits and I LOVE it. Unfortunately, I can't part w/ that kind of cash right now. How close is the Triumph? Same blank supposedly?

I have 3 triumphs.  They are great rods with decent sensitivity.  I have no complaints about them.  For the $70 price range, the St Croix Triumph is an awesome rod and hard to beat.

If you really want an "ultra" sensitive rod with a very good backbone I suggest you try to get a BPS Carbonlite.  They run $90 for a 6'6" ($70 if it is still on sale).  It is a rod with the feeling of a $300+ rod for under $100. 

Sanother siteBASSER wrote on Today at 8:09am:

Aww son, try them Tournament Grade rods, and if you're like me and want to fish live bait without the hassle, try Timbuktu preserved baits, they come in nightcrawler, cricket, and my favorite, wax worms. Aww, son. ;D