Sign in to follow this  
kyron4

Need advice; braid or mono. ?

Okay, I've fished mono my whole life, but can't help to notice the trend toward briad and have a few questions.

1. I fish a river full of flat and round rocks. What is more abraison resistant, 8# mono. or #10 braid with a 2-4# diam. ?

(I have been told mono holds up better on rocks)

2. The water is ussally a slight green tinted to tea color but can be somewhat clear at times. Will fish see the green tinted line ?

3. Besides casting distance and no stretch what are the pros ? What are the cons ?

4. What brand it generaly considered the "best" ?

Any other info. or advice would be great -Thanks

1. I fish a river full of flat an diameter is the major factor.

2. The water is ussally a slight green tinted to tea color bd round rocks. What is more abraison resistant, 8# mono. or #10 braid with a 2-4# diam. ?

(I have been told mono holds up better on rocks)

Inasmuch as nylon monofilament has greater "line diameter" than polyethylene braid,

the mono should offer a little better cushion against fraying and abrasion.

However, line diameters aside, the intrinsic abrasion resistance of each line material

depends on the study you read. I've seen line material charts that rated

the abrasion-resistance of nylon a tad better than braid, and other line charts

that rated braid a tad better than mono. To my mind it's a wash.

where line out can be somewhat clear at times. Will fish see the green tinted line ?

leader.

Fish are curious by nature and in my opinion, they'd be more likely to be attracted to

a visible line rather than be alarmed. I've often said kiddingly, to use the brightest, gaudiest line

to help bass follow the line to the lure at the end. All kidding aside, I've fished Dale Hollow Reservoir

and gin clear lakes in Canada, and line-visibility has never been an issue

I'm probably the wrong guy to answer that question, because I tie Fireline Tracer braid direct to everything and never use a leader.

3. Besides casting distance and no stretch what are the pros ? What are the cons ?

A) Polyethylene braid has less memory than any other line material, and with spinning tackle,

limp braid is a Godsend. Like you, I too spent most of my life fishing with nylon monofilament (Berkley Trilene XL), and I ain't never goin back to the Boing-Boing string.

:) In effect, the no-stretch amenity of braided line upgrades the sensitivity of your rod blank

similar to increasing the tensile modulus. In addition, thanks to the "No-stretch" property of braid,

it's not necessary to rock the boat every time you set the hook.

C) Braid boasts remarkably thin line-diameter, and I believe that's far more important

than line visibility. In my opinion, when we downside line-test to fish in crystal-clear water,

what we're really doing is "reducing line-drag" to provide a more natural lure delivery.

D) Braided line is indefinitely durable, and when I spool up a reel, I don't even have

a replacement schedule. I just keep casting like a fool, until a couple hundred knots

has shortened the line enough to be great Thanks