Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

Waders?

I don't quite know where to post this but I guess it kinda fits here...

I'm thinking about ordering a pair of waders. I have no idea what I should be looking for. From what I see they vary in price a LOT I know that there must be a reason for that. Can anyone help me find a good pair that will keep me dry and warm without breaking the bank?

That's what I get for not checking some of the forums very often. Thanks.

I have two pairs of neoprene, 3 mil, and 5 mil, and one set of breathable.  You want breathable.  Period.  Neoprene might seem warmer, but trust me, once you sweat in them, and you will, you'll be colder.  Its easier to use the waders as a waterproof shell, and layer accordingly underneath,  If you fish a variety of substrate, you'll want choice of felt boots, studded, to just wading sandals, so go with sock foot.  If you fish surf with sand or gravel, get boot bottom.  Wool wading socks are a must in winter.  I'm not too picky when it comes to features, but you want double stitched, taped seams and at least one waterproof pocket.  Reinforced neoprene sock foot is a plus too.  Always, I mean always wear your wading belt!

now that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks John. How much should I expect to pay for a quality pair?

I have http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Sealdri-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Chest/dp/B0019H6FEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1266272440&sr=8-2, and a pair of 3 mil neoprenes. Both would work for our fishing. i havent been fishing in the neoprenes yet, but wore them during the first mega snow storm we had. I shoveld, ran up and down a sledding hill with my girls on my back, and chased my dog around for about 3 straight hours. While I did sweat, I feel like the waders pulled the moisture out. The are gander mountain guide series. I think i paid the same as the breathable ones, 100 bucks or so.

now that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks John. How much should I expect to pay for a quality pair?

Depends.  I just bought a replacement pair at Gander Mtn. on clearance...$50, LOL.  many of the guys I fish with have a cheap pair, and a set of LL Beans.  Yeah, the $250 ones with the lifetime replacement.  The idea is, if the Beans leak, they send them them back, and wear the cheapos.  I just buy the cheapos, and fish them like I stole 'em.

;)