Sign in to follow this  
Bigs

Re: need new rod and reel for punching heavy mats ?

A setup for flippin/punchin mats has got to be high quality imo. Of all your setups , it's one that you shouldnt pinch pennies on. I suggest saving more money. Not like you're gonna be punchin mats anytime soon, its will be months before you can put it to use. So save more money and get a powell 766 and a decent baitcaster with alot of drag thats fairly high speed. Nothing under 6.3:1 imo.

2 oz is at the top of the range for most manufacturers Heavy rating. H/F should work for you. As suggested, since this is a specialized outfit, save and get the highest quality your budget will allow.

For punching, you want a XH/moderate or mod.-fast rod.  As fast tip is a weak point in the rig.  You want to distribute the force of the "set and lift" evenly across the blank.  Moderate action rods suit this better.

Definitely save up a bit more. Quality is very important with this technique. You don't want your reel giving out, or the drag slipping while fighting a giant fish under vegetation.

I use a Dobyns 805 Punch Rod with a Revo STX and 80lb braid. This is definitely over your price point, and by no means do you have to spend $400 to get a combo, but $250ish is probably the starting point of a solid combo.

can you show pictures of your setup as well i can tell it alot of money to punch but it there a fine line reel and rod combo that would just work out for me . Do think i can just get by with a mike iaconelli 8" XH signature  Powerful Mat Special Trigger Rod and a Quantum Code Casting Reel 870CX ????

Here a summary of what i fish in it a retention ponds with large mouth bass , and some bluegills but the bass are some large ones thought that like hiding in the algae slime an this stuff is thick matted here pictures i found to show u . I try flipping on these an had a pegged weight on it the weight didn't punch throw it just sat on top on the stuff so thats why i got the millers punching weight .

here a video on the miller punching weight and the stuff i fishing on the weed edge .

post-18785-130162928205_thumb.gif

post-18785-130162928213_thumb.jpg

post-18785-130162928214_thumb.jpg

post-18785-130162928217_thumb.jpg

Gently laying your bait on the slop is not punching. Add some velocity, and you'll get through. We have the same stuff up here, even thicker when water levels drop, revealing tops of thick coontail.

The Ike rod will work fine, but I'd use a metal framed reel, with a strong drag.  I use a Kistler XH/M, Daiwa TD-X103HSDL loaded with 65lb. braid.  Pegged 1 to 1.5 oz. TT weight, and 4/0 to 6/0 Owner bent eye SSW hook, snelled.