Sign in to follow this  
hmongkidBee

need help with installing carbontex drag on shimano curado 201B

hey guys I need with installing the carbontex drag washers.  There's a big and small washer.  So what order do I put them in.  I put in the small one first and the big one on top, but then the frame won't close correctly.  Please help.

Replace the big washer with the big Carbontex. The little carbontex replaces the little OE washer.  If you can't figure that out from the schematic....you might need to send it to a pro.

It's just like a puzzle that is already assembled.  Remove each piece, place them in order removed from R to L or L to R, which ever you prefer.  Match up the new carbontex drag washers to the size OEM part removed, and replace.  I like a super thin touch of Shimano drag grease on my carbontex.  Have fun! 8-)

I can't believe someone payed for that half-azd cleaning in that link.

If you were only changing the drags, that would be how you do it. If i went to the trouble to take one apart, I would clean all the parts and I would not just add oil to the bearings without taking them out and cleaning them. Also, you need to make sure that you use drag grease on the drags washers, not regular grease. Theay are not the same thing. He used a bit more than you need, just wipe a thin coat on both sides and wipe the excess off. The small drag washer goes under the brass gear, the bigger one goes in the brass gear.

He could have made the tutorial twice as long by showing details of cleaning the reel but this was intended to show how to change out your drag washers not clean/lube your reel  , and yes he did overdo the grease on the washers for illistration purposes.

T

I start with e clean reel for these types of things.... ;)

If I were you I would send the reel to the Reel Mech, have it serviced and drag upgraded, he has the drag pads. That way first you support a BR sponsor and second, you don 't mess with the reel, them small parts got a mind of their own ya know.