Sign in to follow this  
T

What's the deal with these baitcasters?

Let me explain. I'm fairly new to using a baitcaster, but now that I have gotten the casting issues down, I would never go fishing without one. So far, I've had a Pfleuger Trion, and a Abu Garcia Silver max. Both of these reels I am having major issues with the line guide getting stuck. I have throughally cleaned and oiled these reels and it still happens. Can somebody please tell me what to do about this? I'm very fustrated. Is this a common problem for all baitcasters or is it just the brand of baitcaster I'm using?

Okay what I mean is the line guide pawl is getting stuck? I just found a little information about it in the articles section. The article says to inspect, clean and oil the pawl. I have done this. It seems that I am going to have to replace some parts. These reels were brand new when I got them and it sure seems that I'm having to replace parts sooner than I should. The pawl seems to be okay, but if a new one will fix it, then thats what I'll do. Hopefully it shouldn't be too costly. Thanks for any advice on the matter.

Please elaborate on what you mean by the line getting stuck where? What are you using for line? If it's small diameter (<15#) braid, it could be digging into the spool.

Let me explain. I'm fairly new to using a baitcaster, but now that I have gotten the casting issues down, I would never go fishing without one. So far, I've had a Pfleuger Trion, and a Abu Garcia Silver max. Both of these reels I am having major issues with the line guide getting stuck. I have throughally cleaned and oiled these reels and it still happens. Can somebody please tell me what to do about this? I'm very fustrated. Is this a common problem for all baitcasters or is it just the brand of baitcaster I'm using?

Maybe not the line but, the level wind guide?

If you mean the line guide doesn't follow the line when the spool is disengaged, that is the way they work!

Please elaborate on what you mean by the line getting stuck where? What are you using for line? If it's small diameter (<15#) braid, it could be digging into the spool.

Please see original post, I have elaborated.

they only go back and forth when you reel in.dirt and weeds can get into the pawl and wear it out causing it to stop moving.the gear on the end of the pawl can strip from to much gunk jamming the pawl.either way it doesn't cost much in parts.clean your reels after every use aND THIS will stop happening.