Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Shimano Bantam 10XSG Questions

Picked this reel up recently on ebay. Doesnt have the magnetic control on the side of the reel,only the cast control knob where the handle is.

Any idea how old this reel is?

Without the magnetic control,is there any special way this needs to be cast?

How different can I expect this reel behave when casting vs. an identical reel with the magnetic control?

Is there a learning curve,or will this cast like any other baitcaster in ideal conditions/situations?

Anything special I need to know about this particular reel?

I have another almost identical Shimano Bantam that I got from my uncle,but it has the magnetic control,and I love that reel. Im hoping to enjoy this newly acquired one just as much.

I believe that reel was discontinued in the late 80's. If it's in good shape, you may want to display it or sell it as a collectible. As far as casting a reel without breaks, this is where the "Educated thumb" comes into play. You would need to learn to control spool speed and backlash by varying thumb pressure on the spool.

I thought these had two brake shoe pins. You either ran them full on, or took them off. I recently rebuilt a similar Daiwa Prolight, adding a bunch of bearings and composite line guide, and that reel casts as well as any modern reel. And its lighter to boot!!

I wish they'd come out with a modern interpretation of these sexy little devils!

1-tora-zuhan-Daiwa-Prolite-PL-1000.jpg

I own 2 these reels are black in color and look a lot like the lews BB1's, the mfging year was 1985.

The palming plate side spool support is a bushing, the right hand spool support is bushing, the cast control cap side spool support is bushing. The AR is dog run no instant AR, the braking system is two centrifical blocks that cannot be shut down similar to the older Garcia round reels. I have a few parts for my reels and there are none available from any source that I have tried in the last decade.

The reels are really a conversation piece up on a shelf, I have fished them some but not for anything heavy I don't really think they would hold up....

Tight Lines!!!!!

is this the black one with the gold graphics and flat paddle handles? i believe the spool was black and didn't look like it was aluminum either. if so, i had one way back in the early 80s. i honestly don't remember how well they casted.

david, the ones we're talking about must be different because i know i had mine before 1985. the reason i remember that is because 1985 was the year i began my 25-year fishing hiatus and i had been using my black bantam for a least a year before that.

j.francho, i had a couple of the PL-1000s back in the day as well. man, i loved those reels.

j.francho, i had a couple of the PL-1000s back in the day as well. man, i loved those reels.

This reel was a PL100 or PR100, IIRC. It was silver. I ended up picking up a Procaster Magforce to replace almost everything but the spool, frame, handle, gear set, and side covers. If I can find an AR bearing to fit in there, I might build one for myself.