Sign in to follow this  
preach4bass

Shimano Citica

I've always fished with "cheaper" rods and reels so I could afford to have more set-ups on the deck. But, I sold my boat a few years ago and just fish a few farm ponds now, so I decided to sell of my cheaper stuff and buy one nicer set-up (it's hard to carry 6 rods and reels around the pond). My new Shimano Citaca came today and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I can't believe how smooth that thing is, and I can cast it a country mile! From now on I will fish one or two nicer set-ups rather than several cheaper combos. I'm just amazed at the difference. ;)

From now on I will fish one or two nicer set-ups rather than several cheaper combos. I'm just amazed at the difference. :)

Glad you 'get it'.   ;)

From now on I will fish one or two nicer set-ups rather than several cheaper combos. I'm just amazed at the difference. :)

Glad you 'get it'. ;)

X2.

I've always fished with "cheaper" rods and reels so I could afford to have more set-ups on the deck. But, I sold my boat a few years ago and just fish a few farm ponds now, so I decided to sell of my cheaper stuff and buy one nicer set-up (it's hard to carry 6 rods and reels around the pond). My new Shimano Citaca came today and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I can't believe how smooth that thing is, and I can cast it a country mile! From now on I will fish one or two nicer set-ups rather than several cheaper combos. I'm just amazed at the difference. :)

Was strictly a spinning fisherman (ultralight) with one baitcasting reel (5001C) that was a late addition before I quit fishing years ago. Put a little weight on those ultralights, and I could cast a country mile, too. ;):) ;D

Just bought my first 'quality' baitcasting reel, a Daiwa Fuego L on close out. Had it super tuned by Nitroman. Sweet!!! Couldn't throw hard because I was already throwing it into my neighbor's yard. Adjusted per instructions from an older gentleman I meet, and I could throw it out there without using the thumb. No backlash! Loosening the spool tension a tiny bit allowed for longer casts using the same force, but required a bit of thumb.

Quality equipment sure is nice to use. I'll be taking a couple to the lake with me, but like you, I have no boat so one will be staying in the car while I give the other a fair college try before switching.

What are we comparing it to?

I've always fished with "cheaper" rods and reels so I could afford to have more set-ups on the deck. But, I sold my boat a few years ago and just fish a few farm ponds now, so I decided to sell of my cheaper stuff and buy one nicer set-up (it's hard to carry 6 rods and reels around the pond). My new Shimano Citaca came today and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I can't believe how smooth that thing is, and I can cast it a country mile! From now on I will fish one or two nicer set-ups rather than several cheaper combos. I'm just amazed at the difference. ;)

First, congrats! Next,just wait until you try a Curado E or other reel in the same class.

Second, I can help you with carrying rods around. As a shore angler myself, I too got tired of lugging multiple rigs around. I have since figured that 3 rods will cover most scenarios I face. You can make yourself what I call a rod quiver. Depending on the configuration you choose, you can hold as many rods as you wish. I designed mine to hold three.

STA72494Large.jpg

CopyofFishing10-28-09.jpg

Prop it on something like your tackle bag and your reels will not get dirty or scratched on the ground.

I didn't see anyone wanting a comparision.. ;)

Then you missed my question ;D

Some reel aren't as good as the Citica, some are better.

I was just curious as to the brand of the predacessor reel.

Roger

This was also the first "quality" baitcasting reel that I have owned. I was just as blown away with excitement as you are.

I didn't see anyone wanting a comparision.. ;)

Then you missed my question ;D

Some reel aren't as good as the Citica, some are better.

I was curious as to the brand of the predacessor reel.

Roger

Well..I'm SLOW, so unless you spell it out...I'll miss it for sure.. ;D