Sign in to follow this  
trav

Sol vs. Pixy on a Dobyns for finesse

I'm trying to put together a bc setup for finesse baits.  I'm thinking about putting either a Sol or a Pixy on either a Dobyns 702C or DX 702C.  If any of you guys have experience with these reels and/or rods, please share your opinions.  I can't decide if buying a used Pixy that's several years old is worth paying more for than a NIB Sol.   

I've had a SOL, great reel, just wasn't a fan of the slow gear ratio. I can't comment on a Pixy.

The 702 is an awesome all around finnesse rod, drop shot, tube, shaky head, light jigs, whatever it be, it's awesome. The DX is a MAJOR step up and well worth it, if the money is readily available. If money is tight, you still will be very pleased with the Champion 702.

I have fished both, and have several Extremes and several Champs, feel free to PM me with any questions.

brokeju, does Dobyns pay you? If they don't, they should.  ;D

My buddy Bernie is on their pro staff, and I've been able to play with a few Dobyns rods.... they are REALLY nice.

As far as the sol/pixy debate, the pixy needs some help out of the box, though it will throw lighter baits a little better.  The sol will be fine out of the box, but there are also some improvements that can be made as well.  If you can find an Alphas Ito Ai (super light sol), that might be the easiest choice.  I found mine used for about $175.

The Pixy as stock is perfect for 6-8 lbs test line, the Sol as stock is perfect for 8-10 lbs test. But if you are one of the guys who likes to make cross eyes hooksets then the Pixy as stock is not for you.