Sign in to follow this  
okiefisher8

A few questions on what rod to pair with a core

I am looking at picking up a core 50mg when money allows and have a few questions about what rod to pair with it.

I am mainly going to use this setup for senkos and wonder whether I should go with a M or MH rod, now I know this has been covered in the senko faq but another question is which ever action you suggest, what other techniques could I fish with this?

Also, I am looking at either picking up a Cara T7 or a Cumara. I can get the Cara for about $90 bucks NIB and wanted to know if you guys think spending the extra money on a Cumara would be worth it?

Thanks,

Okie

I'd definitely spend the coin and buy a Cumara.  First off, the two look beautiful together.  I would definitely go with a MH rod in the Cumara series - the choice would be whether to go extra fast or fast and 6'8" or 7'2".  A Core 50 with any of those rods is a great match.  The CUCX72MH is a pretty beefy stick and would make a great pitching stick, big jigs, football jigs, etc.  Lots of choices, but if you go with the original series Cumara rod, consider your techniques other than senkos as contact presentations - jigs, worms, etc. as that is where the original series does best.  Congrats on the purchase of an AWESOME little reel 8-)

I second the cumara for the core, its a really nice match.  If you want to kick it up a notch then you might consider a G.Loomis MBR843 or MBR842 GLX for a great multipurpose combo.

I second the cumara for the core, its a really nice match. If you want to kick it up a notch then you might consider a G.Loomis MBR843 or MBR842 GLX for a great multipurpose combo.

Definately go with the Cumara/Core 50. . A sweet little rig @ less than 10 ounces(cuc-68m)..I'm really enjoying the Core 50 that I purchased from you steezy!!!!!!

You're fortunate to be saddled with such a decision ;D

I'd definitely spend the coin and buy a Cumara. First off, the two look beautiful together.

Good advice.

Roger

You're fortunate to be saddled with such a decision ;D

Thanks, I've actually been donating plasma, and saving up that money for fishing.  Gotta find anyway I can to make money in college.

Go with the  Cumara!  I have the 72 MHXF and the 68MHXF.  Both are awesome rods.

I also say you should go with the cumara. I love my cumara mhf/core50 set up and I use mine for soft plastics as well. I would go with the mh imo its a more versatile rod for all around use than a m rod would be. I don't have any experience with the falcon.

okiefisher8 ,

Trying to make the decision of which rod to put a new Core 50mg on is a really good problem to have. Of the 2 rods you mention in your original post I too will highly recommend the Cumara. I purchased my first Core 50 earlier this year and bought a Cumara 7'2" MHXF to put it on. I started the season using this set-up to throw light T-Rig plastics and plastic swimbaits. As already mentioned a few times they make an awesome pair!

However, a few short weeks later I received my first new Kistler Z-Bone in 7'6" HF and put my Core on it just to play around in the back yard with my new rod. (first rod with the micro guides) It didn't take long to notice that the paint on my Z-Bone and the Core match perfectly (if I didn't know better you would swear they were painted together, its that close)

I left the Core on the Z-Bone for a couple trips to the lake and well, that's where it's going to stay. For the time being a new Curado E7 resides on my Cumara.

Enjoy your decision. To me problems like yours are a fun part of fishing. If you don't get into your equipment your missing out!

Good point deputy Dave.  I also am a equipment junkie.  I just ordered my first core 50 yesterday. Extremely excited for its arrival.  To pair with it I also ordered a 7' Kistler helium II med. rod.  This will be my first Kistler also.  I do have a 6'8" cumara mh and it is a awesome rod.  The Cumara would be an excellent choice for you.