Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

A few reel questions regarding baitcast and spincast

I apologize if this was covered elsewhere I tried searching some key words and didn't really find what I needed.

I learned to fish on a Zebco style reel and then I got a spincast Mitchell 300a for my birthday one year. Never used a baitcast in my life. What I am wondering is, what are the difference between the two styles of reels besides the obvious looks and the way the line winds? Do the baitcast reels offer more power? Better drag? Or do they just normally last longer?

Second, from reading here I have found two specific reels mentioned that would probably be in my pricerange if I was to buy. The Revo SX on the net for $120 and the BPS Pro Qualifier. I reel with my left hand and do not want to change and both of those are available in LH crank. Are these similar, or night and day in terms of quality and performance. I have also seen a lot of talk about a specific Shimano spincast reel that I believe is sold at my local Dick's for $80 or so. Either a Sahara, or Sedona or similar name. Are spincast reels in the $100 range very high quality?

Last, if you were spending $~100-$120 on a reel would you go spinner or baitcast? I love my old Mitchell, but if I am going to be spending what I consider a lot of money on equipment it will need to last and be the best possible thing I can get for what I am paying dollar wise. (I could care less about brand name as long as it does what I need)

Thanks for any opinions and I am open to all options right now.

I fished with spinning gear for years before I made the switch too. IMO, BC gear offers a leverage advantage that you cant get with spin gear. Bigger fish are just easier to handle with a BC.  But thats just my opinion, I would'nt be without a BC now

1.- Spincast and BCs are two worlds appart, they don 'even function in the same way. BCs offer more powerful gearing, more powerful, more fluid drag, do not twist the line and you control the line with your thumb and the brake & cast controls, even though they seem "similar" they are not.

2.- With that money between those two I would go for the Revo without thinking it too much.

3.- You are beginning to get mixed up spincast and spinning are also not the same, the reels you are describing ( Sahara/Sedona ) are spinning reels not spincast reels. To answer your question, you can get a very good quality spinning reel for 60+ dollars.

4.- If I were to spend 100-120 dollars I would have to decide which I need/want, then once decided for that money I would get either a Symetre for spinning reel or a Citica for baitcasting reel.

The Zebco push button style is called a spincast

reel. These are the least sophisticated. If that

is your choice, I suggest looking at the Omega.

Spinning reels are sometimes called "open faced".

Most people will find this style to be very user

friendly and a high quality reel is around $100.

I recommend the Shimano Symetre 2500FJ.

Baitcasters are "generally" used for heavier

presentations or fast retrieve lures. This is

probably NOT your best choice unless you

intend to dedicate much more time to fishing.

If you decide to go with this type of reel, I

suggest the Shimano Citica 201E for $120.

8-)

Sorry about the confusion. I learned on a spincast reel with a nice bright yellow Eagle Claw rod. lol I remember that thing like it was yesterday.

I then got a spinning reel for the birthday and that is all I have used since.

I hadn't even thought that the bait cast reel put the line on flat vs winding and that it would probably lay smoother once you cast. Also, after taking the kids fishing today and having to cast for them, I now realize how easy the one thumb operation is. Since I already have a spinning reel and rod, I'm thinking of going the direction of a bait cast so I can have one of each. One nice rod for fishing by myself or out on a boat and the old one for fishing with the kids where they tend to step on everything, knock into stuff, and generally create havoc on evrything around them.

One thumb opeartion is easy in a spincast, the only moving part is the line, not in a bc, like I told you completely different animals, in a bc the spool rotates as the line flows from it, you use your thumb to avoid the line from jumping from the spool as it rotates and make use of the cast control and brakes to control the spool rotation speed.

Raed more, take a look with friends that fish with bcs, because if you keep tuned on that " I now realize how easy the one thumb operation is" you are in for several hundreds yards of line ( not to mention the frustration ) lost to really good backlashes.