Sign in to follow this  
TBendBassin

Shimano Scorpion reels

does anyone have one of these reels or used one of them?

I had one and used it.  The old style, both the 1000 and 1500 series.  Eh, there are better, there are worse.

does anyone have one of these reels or used one of them?

I do, Scorpion 1000 and Scorpion 1000 Mg, don 't have the newer XT models yet, anything particular you want to know ?

I have a couple of Scorpions & several Scorpion Mg's. I use them all the time. They are great reels. They can cast lighter baits with ease. ;)

I have both a Scorpion Quickfire and a Castaic. There is a difference. The Scorpion feels smoother and tighter all around.

I've been using a Scorpion 1000 for more than 5 yrs.  Casts great due to the SVS brake system.  The retrieve is just so-so.  I changed out the handle for one from a domestic Shimano model to get it longer, which helps a lot.  I think later model Shimanos have upgraded to the extent that the Scorpion is no longer such a jump in capability.  Would I favor a Scorpion over the new Curado?  Probably not, especially if I did not do my own reel maintenance.

i was looking at the new scorpion xt 1000 just to try out a new reel.. i kinda have a rod and reel addiction lol but i have heard some people say that its just an overpriced curado is this true?

i was looking at the new scorpion xt 1000 just to try out a new reel.. i kinda have a rod and reel addiction lol but i have heard some people say that its just an overpriced curado is this true?

I think that is the slightly heavier aluminum version of the core 50/51.

If anything its not a overpriced curado but rather a economical core ;)

I have been drooling over that reel but I know i'm not going to get it until 1-3 years later when it gets a little cheaper, or used.  :'(

Redsyn thanx for the info i love cores! by far my favorite reel now its good to know that the scorpion is very similar i think im def going to give it a try instead of getting another core( i have a core addiction)