Sign in to follow this  
Crankhead

braid & clear water lakes

I'm getting ready for my Canada trip to Sioux Lookout on the 15th. I'm trying to find a braid that works in clear water lakes. I was watching a fishing show on Sturgeon Bay, Wisc (whish is really clear water) and the guide was using Fireline Tracer catching smallies. I'm looking to get advice from those who use braid on clear water lakes...any suggestions?

Works fine as long as you have a fluorocarbon leader.

for moving baits , braid works fine in clear water . if you are using it for jigs , texas-rigged worms , realy most bottom presentations , i would (and do) use either a flourocarbon or co-poly leader .

for moving baits , braid works fine in clear water . if you are using it for jigs , texas-rigged worms , realy most bottom presentations , i would (and do) use either a flourocarbon or co-poly leader .

x2

I fish on super clear lakes a lot with braid and no floro leader and have never had a problem.

Same here. I often fish clear lakes with braid, with and without fluorocarbon leaders. Here's my observations:

Using straight braid with no leader with result in slightly less bites and very few breakoffs.

Using braid with a leader results in slightly more bites, and a handful of breakoffs each year.

x2

X3

I was wondering the same thing about my worm and jig setup. Thanks.

How do you match up a floro leader with the braid? say I'm using 50lb power pro, am I looking for the diameter equivalent on the leader? or something heavier?

I prefer to keep the line diameters as close as possible..if you intend on using a leader. I.e. 55# samuri braid falls between most 10, and 12lb lines, so I opt for 12 as a leader, but have gone heavier if conditions warrant it.

x2

X3

x4

I fished a tournament last year as a co angler. we were both throwing identical black and blue chatter baits on very similar rods and reels. the only difference was i was using 12lb fluorocarbon and my partner was using braid. I out fished him 20 to 0 until about 2pm that day. he finally switched to mono and was able to catch 3 in the last hour.

this was very eye opening to me that even with a moving bait the bass can see much better than we give them credit for. BTW the water wasn't even crystal clear where we were.

now i don't use braid at all unless i'm fishing slop or i have a leader tied on.