Sign in to follow this  
Taylor Fishin 4 life

mod&hvy crankn rod

I've really been enjoying the new Cumara 7'11"MH Reaction Series for deep cranks.  I like a rod approaching 8' with good backbone and just enough flex - this one does it.  The Powell 806 CB is also a fine BIG deep crank stick, but is too much rod for most mid-diving baits.  I don't like the feel of glass rods, so they're out for me.

IMO you want a rod 7-7'6" for casting distance and hook-setting. Med or Med/Hvy power depending on the size baits and cover.  The claimed power rating varies from brand to brand. You want something with some backbone to move fish. Med or Med/fast action. I like some sensitivity to feel cover and bottom composition but find pure, high modulus graphite a little too brittle for this application. A glass/graphite blend can get the best of both worlds.

I've become a fan if the new G Loomis CBR896DF. I didn't think I would like the moderate action (hence the Deep Flex name), but it's not too whippy and really handles my DD22's well.  Hence, I think a Medium-Heavy Power Rod with a Moderate Action should work well.  Length is up to you, but I think the longer the better.

so do yall think the alton jones 7 foot magn graphite/glass medium action that is in the flea market to light for deep cranking?

I have found that it depends on the rod whether or not it will handle deep cranks.  A 7'M BPS Crankin Stick will handle a Fat Free Shad BD5 (10-12') and Strike King Series 5 (10-13') with no problem but my G-Loomis CBR 843, well not so much, better for anything above 8'.

I use a 7'MH Lucky Craft rod