Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

Next rod selection

Ok, my current rod is a Powell 7' Med action with a fast tip. Not sure exactly what combination I should get for a second rod, and what brand. Should I stick with the Powell and get a Med/Heavy with a fast tip, or get the heavy action with fast tip? I noticed that even with a 2lb or so bass on the end of this medium rod, the thing bends quite a bit.

In my price range I also have a carrot stix model but I don't want to buy two rods that are very close together in the way they act. Also will have rewards credits and with other discounts might be able to get a mojo bass rod for $60 or so. I don't think these measure up to the Powell though. not sure.

Also, since I have a 7' rod now in medium, should I stick with a 7' rod when I get my next one?

FWIW I am pairing up this next rod most likely with a BPS pro qualifier. I fish mostly texas rigged plastic right now in ponds.

Ok, my current rod is a Powell 7' Med action with a fast tip. Not sure exactly what combination I should get for a second rod, and what brand. Should I stick with the Powell and get a Med/Heavy with a fast tip, or get the heavy action with fast tip? I noticed that even with a 2lb or so bass on the end of this medium rod, the thing bends quite a bit.

In my price range I also have a carrot stix model but I don't want to buy two rods that are very close together in the way they act. Also will have rewards credits and with other discounts might be able to get a mojo bass rod for $60 or so. I don't think these measure up to the Powell though. not sure.

Also, since I have a 7' rod now in medium, should I stick with a 7' rod when I get my next one?

FWIW I am pairing up this next rod most likely with a BPS pro qualifier. I fish mostly texas rigged plastic right now in ponds.

I'm sure you meant you had a med power/fast action tip.

Here ya go:

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

Specifically:

Technique specific rods are for "enthusiasts".

Almost all your fishing can be done with just

one rod. Beyond that, you only "need" three rods:

Spinning: 6 1/2' or 7', M or MH, Fast Action

(soft plastics and light lures)

Baitcasting: MH or H, Fast Action

(jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all single hooks)

Baitcasting: MH, Moderate Action

(all treble hook lures)

8-)

Beyond that, you only "need" three rods:

RW, A person may only "need" 3 rods, but I always have 16 to 20 in my boat and still "want" more!   LOL  ;)  I guess that is a symptom of my addiction.

But back to the question...

If it were me I'd either go with a 7'6" MH or H BC for pitching/flippin or a 6'6" or 7" spin for finnese tactics but it really depends on how you fish and what you need/want to do.

If your' happy with powel I'd stick with them.  I think it is advantageous to have most, if not all , your rods from one company.

I have a Dobyns 683C. If you like split grips,

this would be the perfect "all-around" rod. Mine

is matched up with a CH50MG which balances

perfectly.

8-)

Thanks guys. Went with the 702C on my first rod because they were out of the 703C. They also sold a 704C which I passed over. That will be my next rod.