Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

My new Core 51mg7

Got a chance to use my new Core 51mg7 for the first time today. Let's just say that I'm getting another one. Paired with my BCR853 and 30lb fireline braid I was easily able to throw a trick worm on a 3/16 shakey head a long long way, and needless to say this is not the ideal rod for this task. It was also able to land a nice 3lb 2oz flawlessly. I'm very excited about this reel for lighter/finesse applications.

No reason to limit its use to lighter/finesse applications, dont let the reel size and weight fool you, it can handle heavier use.

No reason to limit its use to lighter/finesse applications, dont let the reel size and weight fool you, it can handle heavier use.

Great reel, it will spoil you!

8-)

I'm keeping that reel on my BCR853 for bottom contact baits up to 1/2oz and plan to pick up another to pair with my BCR852 and some 10lb flourocarbon for the really light stuff 1/4oz and under.

Both outstanding rods for your 51's!  You'll absolutely love them.  They can definitely handle your stuff up to 1/2 oz. no problem and are outstanding on a 2 power BCR for finesse jigs and plastics.  Enjoy!

I figure the 2 power BCR will be good for 1/8 - 3/16oz spinnerbaits and buzzbaits when it comes time to down size as well.

You might consider the MBR842C.

It's a match made in heaven!

8-)

I'm keeping that reel on my BCR853 for bottom contact baits up to 1/2oz and plan to pick up another to pair with my BCR852 and some 10lb flourocarbon for the really light stuff 1/4oz and under.

Good luck on that one. I bought my 50mg7 a little over a month ago and put it right on my BCR852 GLX with 10# Invisix. Not a happy combo throwing light baits at all. Even with 4-5 pins engaged, it overran way too easily. Kind of disappointing as that's what I bought it for. Now it's on one of my BCR803 GLX's, and it's happy there throwing "normal" sized bass baits. Not nearly as versatile a reel as my 2010 Revo Premier's, one of which now happily lives on the 852 throwing my finesse baits. My Calais DC also throws small baits well, but I don't use it for that very often.

I was just throwing a t-rigged trick worm with a 1/8oz weight on my 853 with 3 brakes engaged without any trouble at all, and was able to cast quite a distance as well. I realize that a trick worm weighs a decent amount for its size, but this is still a reletively light offering for this rod.

I picked up the 852 mainly for 1/16 - 3/16oz shakey heads in open water, weightless plastics, and maybe drop shotting on the rear occasion I choose to do so. Aside from maybe weightless plastics, I feel the Core 51 should work well for these tasks. There's only one way to find out and I plan to try the Core on my 852 soon.

I do have a 2010 Premier and I love that reel as well. I am currently using it on my Dobyns 733C for moving baits, mostly spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and topwaters. I agree that the Premier may make a better all around reel, but I am confident that the Core will work for what I plan to use it for. It would be nice if the Premier was offered in a shallow spool version maybe rated at ~90-100 yards of 12lb line.

I picked up the same reel & paired it up with a st croix avid crankbait rod AVC70MM. I spooled up with 150 yards of 10lb suffix performance braid. Cast like a dream with baits from 1/8 up to an ounce. Super combo. Very light weight, super smooth drag & can handle anything the smallies throw at it. 

I've had my new core 50mg7(righty) for about 2 months now just waiting to use it.  Bass opener is Sat. in MN. ;)  I can't wait to try it.  I have mine on a Kistler 6'6" MH LTX.

jeb

you might want to try some different line before giving up and the reel. mine throw light baits as well as any baitcaster ive ever owned. great reel.