Sign in to follow this  
guitarkid

crank rods

looking to update my dinosaur cranking rod, and was wanting a rad that can handle pretty much everything from 100 series bandits to dd22s. I was thinking either tha crank'n stick or maybe even a tessara?

-gk

looking to update my dinosaur cranking rod, and was wanting a rad that can handle pretty much everything from 100 series bandits to dd22s. I was thinking either tha crank'n stick or maybe even a tessara?

-gk

You aren't asking for much, are you?

I use spinning gear for cranks under 3/8 of an ounce. My recommendation would be Browning's Silaflex rod for that. It's only about $40.

Anything heavier, or deeper divers, casting gear gets the nod for me. The crankin' stick is good, but I think American Rodsmith's David Fritts crankin rod or the St. Croix Avid Glass Crankbait are better choices, and still only cost about $100.

what I was looking for, was good recommendations about what power or action to get.

-gk

Small cranks...MF or MXF

Big cranks like DD-22...MHM

T

If your looking for only one rod go with a MH power & moderate action.

Shallow & medium diveres: 7ft med power, moderate or mod-fast action;

Deep divers: 7ft or longer, MH power, mod or mod-fast action .

If you don't have to much weeds, slower action would be better.

Tight lines

If your looking for only one rod go with a MH power & moderate action.
Shallow & medium diveres: 7ft med power, moderate or mod-fast action;

Deep divers: 7ft or longer, MH power, mod or mod-fast action .

If you don't have to much weeds, slower action would be better.

Tight lines

X2 on both of these.

I had a 7'M BPS Crankin Stick and threw everything from Bandit 100s, Bomber 6-7A to SK Series 6 and BDS6 Fat Free Shads.  It was a bit underpowered for DD22s and baits that went 14'+.  On the other hand it wasn't great for lighter baits, it really had a sweet spot for 8-12'.

hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies

-gk

It will be pretty hard to find a rod that will be able to fish that wide of a variety of baits well. You could fish a Medium power rod with a Moderate action and do really well with Bandit 100s up to Bandit 300s and could probably do well throwing Strike King Series 5 and Bomber BDS6 baits. But when throwing and working DD22s or BDS7 Fat Free Shads, that rod will probably fill slightly under powered. This won't be a problem for a short period of time but if you try that for all day or a weekend it will really do work on your arms.

A Medium Heavy powered rod with Moderate action would be a good bet as well but might have problems casting smaller baits around the 1/4 oz mark. It would handle the stress of the DD22 better.

I love to throw cranks more than anything else. I don't think I could survive with just one rod  :-/

I picked up my first cranking style rod yesterday.  It's a 7' MH.  3/8 to 1 1/2 oz.  It hurls 1/2oz baits a long way.  I can cast 1/4oz lures on it, but it's definitely noticeable that the rod isn't made for them.  I'd have to agree based on my limited experience, that you'd need more than one rod to cast everything you're trying to cast.

I really like my St. Croix  PGC70MMF. Havn't thrown any DD 22s on it yet but it handles Strike King series 5's and smaller very well.