Sign in to follow this  
rboat

spinning reel problem?

I have a shimano stradic spinning reel about 3 years old. Love the reel, but about every 3 casts the bail snaps shut during the cast. Reel Mech or anyone know what I can do for this problem? Thanks.

The bail spring has lost strength, it 's just a matter of replacing it. Just a question, do you close the bail by hand or turn the handle to do it ? turning the handle to close the bail causes the spring to wear out fast, I never do such a thing, I always close the bail by hand, I 've got several spinning reels some of which are more than 20 years old and they function normally.

I always close the bail by hand to prevent line twist, but I never had a problem like this. Is changing this spring easy to do, or should I leave it to a professional? Thanks.

The bail spring has lost strength, it 's just a matter of replacing it. Just a question, do you close the bail by hand or turn the handle to do it ? turning the handle to close the bail causes the spring to wear out fast, I never do such a thing, I always close the bail by hand, I 've got several spinning reels some of which are more than 20 years old and they function normally.

rboat

IMO if it was a bail return spring going out it would happen every cast. I have had anglers come into the shop complaining about the same issue's.

When I have them mount the reel on a rod and take me outside to test cast the reel, we found that the angler was not opening the bail fully every time. We found that the angler would get comfortable with the timing of their casting and then for whatever reasons would change it just enough to cause the issue.

We were getting the bail snapping shut on cast every 3,5 and sometimes 8 cast. Once the angler realized what he/she was doing the issues soon disappeared...

Just my thoughts and testing...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!

.RM. I do not think that is the problem. I have a second reel and use it all day with the same lure and weight and it never snaps shut during the cast. If this is a reel problem could I send it to you or could you explain a way to fix it? I love the reel, but when it snaps it can be deadly to your lure or yourself!

It's a Shimano, what do you expect.......lol.  I have a stradic fi 4000 myself, bail has been sticking right out of the box, other than that it's an outstanding reel

Line twist is caused by retrieving, not bail closing.  I close by hand as well, only because it's easier and less wear & tear.  I cast, mostly braid, with the line flowing thru my fingers and a gently pinch of the line before impact, so my hand is right on top of the spool make hand closing the way yo go, this method practically eliminates wind knots.

It's a Shimano, what do you expect.......lol. I have a stradic fi 4000 myself, bail has been sticking right out of the box, other than that it's an outstanding reel

Line twist is caused by retrieving, not bail closing. I close by hand as well, only because it's easier and less wear & tear. I cast, mostly braid, with the line flowing thru my fingers and a gently pinch of the line before impact, so my hand is right on top of the spool make hand closing the way yo go, this method practically eliminates wind knots.

ouch.  ;D