Sign in to follow this  
slickdub

Browning Lew Childre BB-1n Speed Spool

Anyone know anything about this reel? My grandfather gave me this a few years back. I don't think he ever used it. It looks brand spankin' new.

Basically should I go ahead and use it or Put it on the shelf as a keep sake?

Thanks,

PS. Its on the rod for transport haven't used that either. I have never used bait casting before. :-/

post-21524-130162928662_thumb.jpg

post-21524-130162928665_thumb.jpg

Those were great reels in their day.  I had one that got stolen.  I used it primarily as a spinnerbait reel.  I'd go ahead and use it, but be aware it will be difficult to replace should you lose it.

I have one of the original Lew Childre reels that was made by  Shimano before Shimano made reels , I have retired it.The reel you have there is a post Shimano made Ryobi ( I think).

Check this out

Shimano has been in business since 1921, as one of the world's foremost producers of bicycle gearing systems. However, their entry into the fishing tackle manufacturing world did not start until the mid-1970's when they began producing the Lew's Speed Spool for Lew Childre Co. of Foley, Alabama.

Shimano recognized many of the revolutionary ideas found in the Speed Spool and began developing a line of their own reels similar to the Speed Spool - the Original Bantams. Lew Childre soon broke relations with Shimano and in the late 1970's turned to Ryobi as a contract manufacturer of the Speed Spool.

Shimano introduced their Bantam line of reels in 1978 at the American Fishing Tackle Manufacturer's Association (AFTMA) trade show. They were an instantaneous hit and the Shimano floodgates were opened. Today, Shimano is one of the most recognized names in the fishing tackle world and their tackle lineup includes, rods, reels, baits, and accessories. This section will only delve into the history of their low profile casting reels.

T

Yeah... It says made in Japan. I can't find anything about Ryobi or Shimano. Thanks for the info. Its a neat reel though.

You have a BB1N model. The first Lews actually were made by Shimano and stated so on the reel. I could shoot myself for selling the two I had years ago. Lews then updated the frame and the 2nd generation had a switch on top to release the anti-reverse so you could back reel. There was the Ryobi AD5000 V Spool which was a mirror to the Lews name.  Those are sought after by collectors as well. Your 3rd generation is still a three ball bearing and is most likely 4.7 to 1. Your photo shows it to be in mint condition. You cannot find factory parts for that reel as far as I have found. The level wind pawl and anti reverse dogs are about the only thing that wears out in these reels. They are superb crankbait reels. I still have five Speed Spools and they are kind of retired. If you use it, use it for moderate to deep cranking. If someone asks to buy it, they sold for $120.00 in 1980 and I have seen some go at auction for $240.00. Thank your Grandfather !

In the day that was Mr. Bad Reel.  Lots of guys used them for Crankbaits. 

Thanks guys for the info... I think I may get a nice display case and keep it for show, and keep it in its pristine condition. Again thanks a lot.

I bought one last year at a small tackle shop for $30. The Ryobi version. bought it in the morning, sold it on another site for $100 that afternoon. Some guys love them. The big $$$ reels are the Shimano made reels. Never fished it. Would like to have tried but, selling it for triple made more sense to me.

Nice is right! I used to have the slow 4 something to one ratio, used it for spinnerbait's in the spring up here, now still have a 5.58 ratio high speed one I use once in a while, I clean it about once a month just to be safe if you know what I mean, old tackle is so cool ;) if they could talk,oh the memorie's they could tell!!! junebugman