Sign in to follow this  
packman

Kistler

What are yall's opinions on kistler rods including the carbon steel and Magnesiums?

Thanks ahead of time!

I have 2 mag, one is micro guide and i LOVE em. Right now kistler has a fathers day sale where u buy 1 mg and proceed to checkout and  u get a carbon free! I just ordered another yesterday. The mg's are super sensitive for worming, especially the micro one.

Just went to the Kistler site and they are sold out of the 7ft m casting model.  Darn what a bummer I was all ready to get my free rod. >;)

I had 2 Magnesiums, 6 '6" All Around and Crankbait, ok so here 's the deal, the rods I purchased was when Kistler used Batson reel seats and guides, I did not like those components and was one of the reasons why I got rid of them, other things I really liked about them, the blanks were great, great cork ( better than the cork in my GLoomises ), excelent finishes, the handles were a little bit too wide and bulky for my hands.

Now that the reel seat has been changed for a Fuji reel seat you will find the Magnesium a very nice rod to own.

got to magnesiums, the top water  casting and the drop shot spinning.  both very well made rods.  never had an issue.  eventually going to buy some of the new micro guides, but those are a few months off.

I have several Magnisums and like them alot. The 6'9" MH "All purpose special" is just that..........in fact it's they only rod I have ever owned that was touted as an "all purpose" rod that didn't basicly suck at beeing a rod labled as such. Other than deep cranking, and heavy slop fishing it does every thing well, and even excels at a few things IMHO.

As for sensitivity.......I have been using St Croix almost exclusively for the last few years until I go the Kistlers, so that's all I have to compare them to. The Mag TS is much better than and of the SCII blanked rods (Triumph, Mojo, Premier), but IMHO just a touch below and Avid, but not much. Not really in the same class as Legend Tournaments, but they are not priced like it either. In fact that's what led me to the Mag TS, I want a line of rods better than the Mojo's and Premiers, and was, well bored with Avids, so the Kistlers falls on there nicely, both in price and performance

I have several others, like the 7' H "jig and toad", the 7' MH "senko special", and the 7'8" "all day power tool"...... no complaints, and am planning on buying more.

I have Helium LTAs, Mag TSs, and an Argon, and they are all very nice rods. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Kistlers.

I like my Kistler LTAs very much. My brother has several MAGs and LTXs that are very good as well. But unless it is free or next to free stay away from the Carbon Steel rods.

I have four of them... got them when there was a great sale in January. Out of the plastic they were great. But after only one trip the guides on several of them were all bent up for no reason whatsoever. Just the weight of the rod on the deck caused them to flatten out. Bending them back into place further weakened them and one of them cracked.

The company is great as well, they replaced all of them free of charge when I told them of the problem. Sadly the new ones are little better. The ~$100 price range is way too competitive to justify selling those rods with such crappy guides any where near that price point.

Having said that, they have great blanks and are very light and sensitive, very reminiscent of the magnesiums. The other components sadly are lower quality then my Berkley lightnings. It is a shame that Kistler would even sell them IMHO. They certainly aren't worth the price or worthy of the name.