Sign in to follow this  
b.wedlund

Legend Tournament Bass - All Purpose Rod

Over the past few years I have accumulated a number of "technique specific" rods. Last week, while packing the SUV with 3 friends, rods, food, clothing, etc. for a trip, I had the thought that there are times when I just want to grab a couple of rods that will handle most of the fishing I will do. I would like to get to where I can grab 2 or 3 rods instead of 7 or 8 when I am heading out. Of course there are times when I like to grab more rods, so I will keep them around and I am not technically looking to "replace" them

I have a finesse spinning reel that I use for worms and drop shotting that I really like as well as a longer heavier rod I use for flipping and many top water applications. What I would like is a rod between the two that can handle most of the fishing I do. For me, that is a lot of spinnerbaits, in-line spinners, plastic swimbaits/paddletails, shallow cranks and traps.

I am open to other options, but because I have liked the series, right now I am considering these two rods from the St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass Lineup:

LTBC70MF      Teaser      7'      M      Fast      1      10 - 17      1/4 - 5/8      4.0

LTBC70MHF      Sweeper Spinnerbait      7'      MH      Fast      1      12 - 20      3/8 - 1      4.4

My question is, which of these rods is going to handle the "general purpose" role better, and are there any of the techniques I listed above that you wouldn't be willing to fish with it?

I use the Teaser for those baits.  The Sweeper is a fairly heavy power rod, for a MH rating.  If you're used to that, then go for the Sweeper.  Both are excellent rods, and I would argue those two could cover 90% of my fishing needs.

IMO the MH covers a broader range of baits and cover scenarios. Anything too light to handle with this can go on a spinning rod.

IMO the MH covers a broader range of baits and cover scenarios. Anything too light to handle with this can go on a spinning rod.

X2

Could not have said it better myself.

I use the Teaser for those baits. The Sweeper is a fairly heavy power rod, for a MH rating. If you're used to that, then go for the Sweeper. Both are excellent rods, and I would argue those two could cover 90% of my fishing needs.

I just purchased the ltb70mf and LOVE it. I always fish a M with my spinnerbaits as I like the tip on a M rod. It is really up to you as everyone will have a different opinion.