Sign in to follow this  
Rayraff

Taking apart my 1170pt

Hey guys,

I was fishing early this morning and my buddy snagged my rod and flung it into the water. I just bought this quantum used 3 days ago so I wasn't about to let it rest on the bottom of the lake. So I grabbed my scuba gear and after 15minutes of searching in 0-vis water I finally found it :D.

Now I want to take this reel completely apart and re-lube it because it was fully submerged for a good hour. I took out the spool, got the 2 screws there, and I took out the stabilizer bar. I still can't get the side off. Any ideas?

Hello, do you still have the owner's manual? If not you'll have to take the handle and drag assembly apart, and there should be at least a couple screw's holding the "gear" housing on, remember, when taking a reel apart put ALL the part's you take off in order so they all go back together the same way, also look up the quantum website they may have a pdf owner's manual you can download also! Junebugman :D

yea get the reels schematic and study it before you go any further.

If you don't have one you can get one on my website, or mikes, or even the Quantum website.....

The palming side is locked by the slider under the nose piece of the reel. Slide it toward the outside of the reel and twist the palming plate up and it should come off. If you have trouble twisting the side plate then back off the cast control cap and try again.

Good Luck!

If you just can't get it back together send it to me and I will reassemble it for you. No charge, just cover the shipping each way.

Make sure the washers and spacers go back in sync.

Go light on the oil.

Also consider some digital pics of the assembled parts for reference later and lay out the parts as you disassemble so you can reverse the order. This is NOT a substitution for RM's advice of obtaining a schematic.

This isn't my first time taking apart a reel. I just can't figure out how to get the handle assembly off.

This isn't my first time taking apart a reel. I just can't figure out how to get the handle assembly off.

See the black disk just under the handle. Press it down and then turn the handle off (counter clockwise) while you have it depressed...... 8-)