Sign in to follow this  
Daddyodo

baitcaster in spinning rod?

I just ordered my 1st baitcaster the other day. I do not have the money yet to get a bc rod. Can I use a spinning rod with this until I get the bc rod? By the way, what would be a good rod for say 50 bucks? :;)

Lightning rod ! And yes you can do it for a period of time, but I dont recommend it as a permanent thing. Also when you cast use two hands with a firm grip because spinning rods dont have that safety trigger. I've actually gave my rod a bath once by doing this when I first started fishing  ;)

To this day, my dad uses an old Penn baitcast reel on a Ted Williams 9' salmon spinning rod for throwing jigs to stripers. He used this when I was a little kid and still does. He can wing a jig a helluva long way. He always told me that he could never find a baitcast rod that would let do this so he decided to us a spinning rod. It sure looks goofy but it has worked exceptionally well for well over 30 years.

So yes, it can be done. It might even be able to be done well. But you will be ridiculed for it. Even if you are the one catching fish.

Edit:  My dad's rod is a glass rod.  i'm not sure how a graphite rod with a spine and all that stuff will work out for you.

The guide placement and sizing is specific to the intended use of he rod. The spinning guides will not be conducive to casting with a bait cast reel. This may cause added frustration in learning to use your new reel. My suggestion would be to look for a used or cheap bait casting rod. With said, many fish have been caught with twine tied on the end of a cane pole. Anything is possible. Good luck.

Berkley Cherrywoods are less than $20 at Wallmart. Not a great rod, but not bad for the money. A 6'6'' or 7' wouldn't be bad to learn on. For that price keep it for a back up, or loaner.

lightning stick , shimano convergence , fenwick eagle GT or hit up the auction site or our flea market..