Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Question on using the Alberto Knot.

Is it a good knot for connecting lines of the same diameter? Or should I use the Uni-to-Uni for that? Or another knot? Recently tied my first Alberto connecting 12 lb. mono to 40 lb. braid (10 lb. mono equivalent). Not much difference in diameter, but it seems to be holding well. I couldn't break it by hand. Also got snagged with it, and wrapped the braid around a piece of tree limb to break it free. The Alberto (and Uni at the hook) held.

Before you ask why mono instead of FC, 2 reasons. Mono is all I have, and not sure I want to try FC based on how poor I've read its knot strength is. I only tied a leader so I could try the Alberto! ;D Nice connection.

Need to re-spool a reel, but thought I'd save some money by only removing half the line before adding the new. Currently has a Uni-to-Uni connecting braid to mono. Not thrilled with the size of the knot. Of course that may not be much of a concern this time as I will be removing some of the old mono so there will be more of the new. Guesstimated too much mono the first time not leaving enough for the braid. Can cast almost to the knot. Will be changing the braid to mono for crank bait type lures.

EDIT:  For some reason I've had the impression that that knots such as the Albright and Alberto were for connecting lines of different diameters.

I have been using the Alberto knot for years now.  It is without a doubt my favorite line to line knot.  The stuff I have put this knot through is ridiculous, and I trust it as much as you can possibly trust a knot.

Now as for lines close in diameter, IMO you will be totally fine tying 40 lb braid to 12lb mono.  Just make sure that whenever you are tying braid to mono (or any other leader) that the braid is the line that you "wrap around".  When tied this way the braid makes a phenomenal grip around the mono regardless of diameter.

As always, when tying two new lines together, try tying a couple of small pieces together at home and test it out.

I like the Alberto myself.   :)  Have you ever tied the same size mono lines together?  Like you said, I will give it a test myself.  Guess I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak.  No reason I couldn't find the answer for myself.  Sometimes it's hard to see the flowers for the trees.   :) :)

I like the Alberto myself. :) Have you ever tied the same size mono lines together? Like you said, I will give it a test myself. Guess I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak. No reason I couldn't find the answer for myself. Sometimes it's hard to see the flowers for the trees. :) :)

No I haven't ever tried tying mono to mono with an alberto.  But why would you be doing that anyway?

I like the Alberto myself. :) Have you ever tied the same size mono lines together? Like you said, I will give it a test myself. Guess I was asleep at the wheel, so to speak. No reason I couldn't find the answer for myself. Sometimes it's hard to see the flowers for the trees. :) :)

No I haven't ever tried tying mono to mono with an alberto. But why would you be doing that anyway?

Because new reel with 1. new mono backing 2. not enough braid on it (can cast to knot) 3. don't want to throw away the new line being used as backing 4. decided to use rod for mostly crank style baits.  5. I'm frugal (hate throwing away perfectly good line).

I have a few yards left of P-line CX 8 lb. that I am going to use for some unscientific testing.  I figure if the knot doesn't slip it will most likely be strong enough, but will compare it against the Uni-to-Uni.

No I haven't ever tried tying mono to mono with an alberto. But why would you be doing that anyway?

Because new reel with 1. new mono backing 2. not enough braid on it (can cast to knot) 3. don't want to throw away the new line being used as backing 4. decided to use rod for mostly crank style baits. 5. I'm frugal (hate throwing away perfectly good line).

I have a few yards left of P-line CX 8 lb. that I am going to use for some unscientific testing. I figure if the knot doesn't slip it will most likely be strong enough, but will compare it against the Uni-to-Uni.

Lol ok I hear ya. Yeah definitely experiment because there may be a better knot for mono to mono. 

But the best braid to leader by FAR is the Alberto.  :)