Sign in to follow this  
shuddyssoup

Spinner bait rod, for braid.

I love using braided line with my spinner baits and buzzbaits, Only problem I have is, with the newer stiffer rods, I pull the bait from the fishes mouth. I am looking for a parabolic action rod or something with a soft tip and good back bone for this application. Any ideas. I have used fiberglass rods but dang, talk about being worn out at the end of the day ... Thanks in advance for y'alls input. Mike

I feel your pain, been there and done that with the glass rods. While I don't agree with the theory that you can "pull the lure away" from a Bass that really want's to hit it, I do agree that a softer action is needed when using Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits with superlines. I've used the older style of Bass Pro's "Cranking Stick" and liked them, it would depend on whether or not you like the grip on them. I also have an older Fenwick 6'6" Medium action rod made from 1st generation IM6 graphite, and it's good for smaller lures, so maybe a lower priced standard (not so stiff) graphite stick would be your answer. For example - my river Smallie Spinnerbait rod is a cheap Bass Pro Graphite Series 7' Medium rod for the all those reasons, and also if I break it I'm only out a couple of bucks.

Hidden

I fish my spinnerbaits on a 6'9" parabolic Cranking Carrot Stick. It doesn't have as slow of an action as a fiberglass rod butisn't as fast as a fast action graphite rod. I think this would be one, if not your best choice for a spinnerbait rod with a slower action.

I love using braided line with my spinner baits and buzzbaits, Only problem I have is, with the newer stiffer rods, I pull the bait from the fishes mouth. I am looking for a parabolic action rod or something with a soft tip and good back bone for this applicGT66MH-MHation. Any ideas. I have used fiberglass rods but dang, talk about being worn out at the end of the day ... Thanks in advance for y'alls input. Mike

Fenwick HMG 6'6" MH/MF (GT66MH-MF).  HMG blank, Alconite guide, TAC grips.  It's a perfect spinnerbait rod.  As sensitive as any equivalent St. Croix Avid.  $109.95. 

I use a Falcon Bucoo as my main spinnerbait rod. Its action is not listed but all of them seem to have a MF action which i find perfect for spinnerbaits. Split grip, fuji reel seat, Alconites? I believe?, and Its pretty darn sensitive. Come's in at only a whopping $110 8-)

I've never used a Fenwick though so I cant comment on Micro's suggestion

Thanks so far guys ... all the input helps. I look back at life and realize some of the OLDER rods I let go that would have been perfect for this app. Trying to keep up with the Jone's sometimes has it's drawbacks.

Thanks so far guys ... all the input helps. I look back at life and realize some of the OLDER rods I let go that would have been perfect for this app. Trying to keep up with the Jone's sometimes has it's drawbacks.

Yep. I have found that the "old and slow" IM6 rods are actually pretty much perfect for braid and "cranking lures"- spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and cranks.

They're also pretty great at some types of flyfishing where other guys are using 700$ rods (and not liking them) compared to an old IM6 rod. But that's a different topic.

I use a Cumara MH/EX with braid for my spinner bait application and never have this problem. I just use a sweeping hookset much like you would use for walleye and they stay on the hook. I believe with the EX action and braid they pretty much hook themselves.