Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Questions on Chronarch reels.

I'm new to baitcasting this year so my knowledge of bc reels is limited to what I read. One of the reels I've wanted to try is the 201E7. What I've purchased so far is an 09 STX and 4 Daiwas, 50th, ito and 2 Fuegos. I like them all, but still want to try a Shimano.

Normally newer is better as technology marches on, but we all know that isn't always true. How do the Chronarchs compare to the E7? Is one Chronarch model better than the others?

What would a NIB CH101BSV be worth? Are the Bantam Chronarch 101A reels still good by today's standards? How about the Chronarch SH101SF? What would be a fair price for these two reels if in good condition?

I've nothing against new reels, and in fact desperately want a 2010 Premier (it's more than I can justify spending), but do have a liking for some of the older equipment provided it performs well. Costing less is also a big factor given the huge cut in pay I had to take last year.

However saving a few bucks on something I wouldn't be happy with is NOT a good use of funds.

I realize that Shimano makes better reels than the Chronarch, but they would be out of my price range even when used. For that matter, checking on ebay reveals that many of the Chronarchs are going for much more than I can afford. I'm hoping that I'll get lucky! ;D ;D Provided of course that you feel they are still worth owning.

EDIT:  Happened to remember that some lines aren't going to have parts available for repairing.  Do the Chronarchs fall in this group?

I would strongly recommend the Chronarch 50 mg, if you can find one in good shape.  They are discontinued but are one of my fav's.  You can find them from  $180-225.

I have the Chronacrh bpv 101, and the Curado 301E.

When I first looked at the Curado, I liked it, I then asked to see the Chronarch..after handling it for a few mins..I could tell the Chronarch was much smoother, but the ratio is also slower. Casting wise, they both cast very well, I have thrown everything from weightless plastic's, to 4 oz swimbaits with them. The Curado is my main swimbait reel, but it does get used for other techniques as well.

I do use the Chronarch a bunch for flippin, and pitchin..also in my hands cast's lighter baits easier, but then the Curado 301 probably wasn't designed for that, also the rod has allot to do with it too. I would say for a good all a round reel, either one will do just fine, although imho, the Chronarch is worth the extra $$$.

Also, I've used a few different lines on my reels, from 8lb mono to 55 lb braid, they all work great. Oh, and I did upgrade the drags in both reels..bearings are stock.

As for parts, never had to have anything replaced, but you might contact Shimano to check on parts availability.

I had a Chronarch 101SF on a Loomis MBR783C IMX but the reel didn't feel right.  It felt heavy and wasn't as easy to cast.  Maybe I should have given it more time but I got rid of it and replaced it with a Curado 101D, which I love! 

Now the only reels I use are the Curado 201B, Curado 101D and Chronarch 51MG. 

I had a Chronarch 101SF on a Loomis MBR783C IMX but the reel didn't feel right. It felt heavy and wasn't as easy to cast. Maybe I should have given it more time but I got rid of it and replaced it with a Curado 101D, which I love!

Now the only reels I use are the Curado 201B, Curado 101D and Chronarch 51MG.

Definitely would like a 51MG based on what I've read about them. I was told the D series Curados were not equal to the other models. I passed on several because of this. What is your opinion of them? Maybe the remark was that they were the heaviest. No longer remember the exact information I was given about them.  Getting old is hell in more ways than one.   :)

Chronarchs no matter which series they belong to are great reels any way you look at them. "Heavy" is a matter of interpretation, of course fishing with a sub 6.5 oz reel is heavenly specially when in your casting arm your shoulder is afu and your elbow is fubar, however I got two arms, then 9 > oz doesn 't feel that heavy.