Sign in to follow this  
Mike L

What would you suggest??

Fellas:

I was given a Johhny Morris 6' 6" Signature Series bait cating rod model #JX66MT. It says 1/4-5/8 wgt and 8-17 lb.

2 questions if I may...

1] It doesn't say any where on the rod what the action is, but it is VERY stiff so I assume it is x fast, would that model # indicate it is?

2] What weight and type of line would you rig your reel with and what type of fishing would you use it for?

Also...

I have a 7' 6" Shackspere Titanium med light rod. 8-17 line

Same questions... What wgt and type of line and what would you use it for.

Thanks

Mike

Basspro.com currently doesnt have them, so check them often you may be able to match a serial number, info, stats etc.

Mike, first I am going to respond to your first question.

The model number does not necessarily indicate an x-fast rod, although it seems the majority of the JM series rods are denoted as such, so it is a fair guess that the rod fits that action profile.

Action and Power are terms that can sometimes be hard to understand when discussed in relation to stiffness, speed etc.

Action describes the taper of the blank, and should not be considered synonymous with the "stiffness" or power of the blank. There are, for example extremely stiff Tuna and other big game rods that are slow. There can also be ultra light rigs that are fast, or extra fast.

The determining factor for how slow or fast the rod is depends on how abruptly the rod tapers from butt to tip. People also confuse taper with damping, and understandably so, as we typically use terms like slow or fast to describe action, and they are correct. It is a mistake to talk about action meaning speed in terms of damping, or how fast the tip recovers when deflected, despite the fact that fast rods tend to recover quicker than slow rods.

The only good way that I know of to check the taper, or action of the rod is to load the rod near its capacity and check to see where the rod flexes. If approximately 1/3 of the rod bends it is a fast action, any more of the rod flexing indicates a more moderate action.

***When loading the rod to check the action, the rod should not be flexed deeper than 90 degrees, any more and you are risking failure of the blank.***

I put some resources up on how to find out for sure, here...

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1286250370

Now, the easy part. I would use this as an all around set-up, probably spooled with the 12# copoly of your choice. This would be good for soft plastics, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, rattle-traps, there really isn't anything you couldn't do a really nice job with on this rod, except maybe crankbaits.

Thanks for the reply's

I can bend the tip down a lot less than 1/3 of the way down.

Other rods I have if I shake them I can see the tip move. Fast rods a little, med a little more, but this one doesn't move at all!

Thats why I thought it was x fast.

Thanks for the line and usage.

Any thoughts about what to rig a reel with and how to use the Med light?

Mike

Well, it's sounds like you at least have a 6'6 MH fast to a 6'6 H extra fast by your description. Nine Miler is right on, so basically, it's powerful and reacts quick to your movements. How senstive does the rod feel?

This rod sounds like it could be used for deeper waters, heavy cover, etc; anywhere you need to be able to control the movements, and have the hookset react quickly. Again, like Nine Miler said, worms, jigs, spinnerbaits, etc. work well on this setup. But stay away from anything with a treble hook, as this rod is too powerful and setting the hook can cause you to rip through the fish's lip.

A good reel ratio would be anything above 6.x:1, this way, if you needed, you can work the fish quickly out of cover. I would use a line that stretches as little as possible, again you want the hookset to react quickly because of the distance between your rod tip and the fish. So at least a flourocarbon line. If this will be a worm/soft plastic rod, I would lean towards a braided line. Depending on the cover you will be fishing (logs, grass, etc; anything that can cut into your line) will dictate your rated line test. Heavier cover, heavier line.

Hope this helps!

It does help Thanks...

The rod says farther up the shaft that it's Med.

Doesn"t say MH which I thought it would be given how stiff it is.

The thickness of the but end is about the same as other MH spinning rods I have, and also thinner than a 7' 0" MH/Fast  and 7' 0" MED/Fast Shimano spinning rods I have now.

The taper is a gradual decline from butt to tip.

I guess each manufacturer does thier own thing.

Anyway, now that we know it is med action with probably a x fast tip, does that change your line type and lure selection

advise?

I really appreciate your help fellas!!

Mike

Also, any advise on what and where to use the 7' 6" M/L

8-17 line Shackspere rod?

Mike

I have that same rod. It was the first "nice" rod I owned. I didnt know better at the time and thought I was getting an all around rod, but its a little light in the britches for alot of things..Just keep in mind if your around bigger fish/cover your not gonna have alot of control over them. I like mine for open water app's like jerkbaits and poppers, even a senko now and then. Its very light and comfy to fish. I use #10 yozuri hybrid on it.

Medium, Medium Heavy, or whatever power rating, are terms that should be taken in consideration with a certain level of skepticism, the same thing applies to action and to the IM or HMG level, why ? cuz there 's no standard, power rating, action rating, graphite content are things that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within the same manufacturer 's line up there are variations.

Medium power in X brand can be equivalent to MH in another brand.