Sign in to follow this  
helms83

Questions: Setups, Line, Extra Reel, and Equipment Care

I've been asking for advice about setups, and this is ultimately what I have come up with, what do you all think?

-Crankbait/Lipless Rod

ST Croix Avid 7'M mod 1/4 - 5/8oz

Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier LH: 5.2:1

-Worm Rod/Jigs/Shakey Heads/Rigs

Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite 7'MH fast 3/8 - 1oz

Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite LH: 6.4:1

-Spinnerbait/Topwater/Buzzbaits

Shimano Convergence Graphite Rod: 6'6M fast 1/4-5/8oz

Shimano Callisto RH: 6.2:1

-Spinning Rod

6'10 Bass Pro Shops Spinning Rod Combo

What line should I have on these reels? Right now I have Sunline 14lb Mono in green the Crank and Carbonlite, and Berkley 14lb Flouro in clear on the Shimano.

I have an extra reel, Browning Citori LH: 6.4:1, which I feel is a better reel than my Callisto. Should I svae it as an extra reel, setup with different line in case conditions change on the water? Should I switch it out with the Callisto? Should I buy another rod, and make another setup (if so, what should I set it up for)?

Lastly, my Callisto sounds terrible when I cast out, sounds like the gears are whining. I've read about reel care, but the task seems tough after reading the owners manual. Any tips on how to properly clean, oil and lube my reel? Also, what oils/lubes are good for reels?

Thanks for the long read, just had some questions I've been trying to research without any lucky.

A smaller diameter line will help your deep cranks reach max depth. I'd go with something like CXX 10lb. 50-65 lb braid on the worm rod is more sensitive and stronger in heavy cover. Add a heavy fluoro leader if abrasion is an issue. 14lb mono is ok for spinner-baits, maybe go to fluoro if you're dragging over wood.

As for the noisy reel, whining usually indicates dry bearings. These can be accessed easily without dis-assembly. A thorough cleaning is probably in order. If you'd like to send it in, BassResource.com members get a 10% discount. http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/

If you like the Citori better than the Callisto, I would switch them.

The slight gear ratio difference won't be a problem

Your line choices seem fine, but I prefer braid for my jig rod because of the sensitivity.

Other than that, I'd say your good to go.

Crankbait/lipless rod = 10# CXX

Carbonlite combo = 12# Fluoro ( I like Seagaur AbrazX) or 30# braid.

Spinnerbait/topwater = 12-17# mono, I like Sufix Seige.

Spinning Combo. = 6-8# CXX. A good general purpose line.

As for switching the Citori and Callisto, put your best foot forward. Switch them so your Citori is on. Let your Callisto be a back-up reel with a general line like 10-12# CXX or Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

And as for cleaning and lubing, its not really that hard. Oil on the bearings and spinning freely stuff, grease on the gears etc. Make sure everything goes back the way it came off though, It helps to film yourself so if you forget your not lost. Do it slowly and take mental notes.

And Ardent sells a reel maintenance kit for $20 with good oil and grease, a good degreaser, a microfiber cloth, some swabs and a scrub brush. This is what I have and my reel couldn't be quiter/smoother after re-lubing it.

Spinning Combo. = 6-8# CXX. A good general purpose line.

ehh. i wouldnt put cxx near a spinning reel unless it has a large arbor. seige is excellent on spinning reels though.

Ok, so for the line this is what i did:

Crank - 12lb Berkley Flourocarbon Clear

Worm - 14lb Sunline Monofilament Green

Topwater - 12lb CXX Monofilament Flourescent

I want to try the braided line for my worm setup. However, I don't know much about it, but I've heard it can be a challenge and rough on reels.

Not sure what to do.

Ok, so for the line this is what i did:

Crank - 12lb Berkley Flourocarbon Clear

Worm - 14lb Sunline Monofilament Green

Topwater - 12lb CXX Monofilament Flourescent

I want to try the braided line for my worm setup. However, I don't know much about it, but I've heard it can be a challenge and rough on reels.

Not sure what to do.

You really heard wrong about braided line . I've been using it for years on spinning equipment .

I was told it can be rough on baitcasting reels.

Can you use braided line on any baitcaster or should I check the manuals? What pound test should I use for a worm setup?

I was told it can be rough on baitcasting reels.

Can you use braided line on any baitcaster or should I check the manuals? What pound test should I use for a worm setup?

Whoever told you that is full of crap.

Anywhere from 30# to 60# should suffice.

Braid isn't rough on baitcasters at all. Don't know where you would have heard that.

I would put some 30 pound braid on your Carbonlite.

Daiwa Samurai is great, but for the money PowerPro gets my vote

Samurai is about 30 depending on line weight at TW, PowerPro is ~12 at Wal-Mart.

I would go with the Power Pro.

Best bang for your buck.

You probably don't want to use anything less than 10 lb dia on your BC rig. A 150 yd spool of 55 lb test Samurai (10 lb mono dia) is $24.95 at TW. I'd spool half of it on the reel, ie 75 yards, and use a leader. That 75 yards of Samurai will probably last you one whole season, or at least a very good part thereof. I don't think it's that expensive in the long run, and the performance improvement is so so noticeable.

EDIT: Also, I believe that Samurai is smoother, rounder, quieter, better casting and better handling than a lot of braids/superlines out there, certainly Power Pro, Fireline, Spiderwire braids. I don't know about Sufix performance braid; I never used that.

I've had 55lb smauri for almost a year now..I have 1 reel that's spooled with all braid, another that has backing, which makes no difference in performance. The samuri has held up great, as was said, it's good right out of the box, compared to some others. I do however remember paying about 37.00 for a 150 yd spool though, but well worth it imho.

I got 30# fireline on sale earlier this year and its worked out great...

I have braid on all setups now although I used InvisX #12 for most of the season on my BC. Once you try braid on a bottom contact setup its tough to go back.

PP = cheap

Suffix = Super Strong albeit airplane cable

Fireline = Nice combo of the two

I do have to admit that a spool of Daiwa is inbound. :(