Sign in to follow this  
GrizzerGreen

Mono or Braid??

I cant decide what line to use for largemouth fishing. I love how braided line has low memory but I dont care for the fact that it doesnt have any stretch and can pull the bait right out of the fishes mouth when setting the hook. And I love how mono has a decent amount of stretch.......but it also has somewhat of a memory and comes off the reel in loops.

So what type of line would you reccomend?

Im using a spinning reel and fish plastic worms most often.

Thanks for any help guys!

Have you tried braid with a mono/fluoro leader?

Use this knot ---> http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/Articles/article_arby_albertos_knot.shtml

Remember the braid is the green line in the diagram.

And as for how much, you generally want around the length of the rod in mono.

Many use enough line to go from the rod tip down to the reel.

Uni to uni is a good knot when tying braid to mono.

Also, which rod are you using (If you don't mind me asking)?

I ask because I used to use braid on my plastics rod and never had a problem with setting the hook.

Ended up switching to yo-zuri hybrid and I'll recommend it to anyone.

I ask because I used to use braid on my plastics rod and never had a problem with setting the hook.

I used the Uni-uni once, but will never again. Because the knot is so big and bulky it gets caught in your guides, causing backlashes from hell, and lost lures flying to sea.

I used the Uni-uni once, but will never again. Because the knot is so big and bulky it gets caught in your guides, causing backlashes from hell, and lost lures flying to sea.

I never had a problem with it when I used a leader for about a week.

No, you cant reel a barrel swivel through your rod guides. And if you do use one your going to have to cast with atleast 2 feet of line out, which is unpractical and will helicopter which is not good.

Always user a uni to uni, never had any problems with the knot going through the guides. The key is to keep your loops in order. I do 7 to 8 loops on the braid side, and 6 on the fluro side. Cinch them up tight (wet the lines) and you should wind up with a knot that's skinny, and about 1/8 to 3/16 long. I have used this knot for heavy swimbaits, and never had one snap.

If your not wanting to use a fluro, or mono, might consider a copoly, which has some stretch, is more sensitive than mono, has better abrasion resistance than fluro.

Also, if your going to use a leader, you can get away with 3' or longer, depending on the circumstances.

I only use braid, mono is in the past for me.  I use a swivel with about 15-18" leader, perfect hookups with a wrist flick for setting the hook. Try topshotting with about 60 yds of braid, if you don't like it try something else, experiment to see what you like the best.

I use copoly and braid.  For jigs,  worms and other soft plastics I like braid because of the "no stretch" and its strength.  Its a more positive hook set.  These same lures are used around heavy cover often also.

With copoly I can make longer casts and it is more forgiving when fishing cranks, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits.  IMO its easy rip the bait out of the fishes mouth w/ braid unless you are really used to it.  I'm trigger happy and tend to react too quickly to strikes sometimes.

I absolutely love braid.  it's all i use on spinning and baitcasters.  Cant beat it in my opinion.  some people will only use fluoro or mono. Different strokes for different folks.  One thing i keep in mind with braid is you dont have to have the grandpa hookset! Also remember to keep those hooks sharp!