Sign in to follow this  
rboat

new pixy

Is the new diawa pixy that much better than the older models? I want to get one but the older models are much cheaper. Is it worth the extra dough for the new version? Anyone have any experience with them?

I have 2 Pixies.  Modded to Pixzilla standards.  I will more than likely never part with these reels.  If you can swing one, you wont be dissapointed.

Are you talking about the new PX68 versus the old yellow orange and red pixies?

Exactly, Nibbles. I was wondering if the new px68 is that much better than the older yellow orange, or red ones?

The older pixys seem to cast lighter lures a little better, but I love the new reel with its 6.8 to 1 retrieve ratio. I have not modded my new Pixys yet with the pixilla modification but will this winter at some point. Hopefully at that time they will be as good or better than the old ones. 

The old ones cast lighter lures better probably because they use magforce V instead of Z. Z engages at a higher spool speed, which really doesn't help when you are pitching or throwing very light baits where you might benefit more from some braking even at lower speeds.

Turning a Pixy into a Pixzilla will cost you more than 100 dollars, add that to the price of the reel, let 's suppose you find one in mint condition, well, that 's about 350 dollars plus more than 100 dollars in parts so that would make it 450 ish, for the same money you get a reel that already has the parts, plus it 's got a couple of thing the older version will never have, the faster gear ratio and the a little bit deeper spool.

So is the extra dough worth it ? man, other than being a limited edition model that I don 't have, ( since out of the three limied edition models I don 't like two so that eliminates the problem ) I would not purchase a regular Pixy over a PX68.