Sign in to follow this  
northern basser

Not liking my EVA knobs

There is only one thing bad I have to say about my patriarch xt,  EVA knobs.  I don't necessarily like the way they feel,  but more importantly I dislike the thickness.  I was thinking about replacing them or modifying them(shave, grind, sand, dremmel..?).  The thing is I love the CF handle so changing the whole handle is out of the question for me.

What I do like are shimano's knobs.  Any help?

Reel grips?

I dont like the foam knobs either so I just threw some reel grips on.

EVA can be shaped by sanding. If you go that route, do it by hand and take your time.

if its a new reel , make sure you wont be voiding a warranty by doing so.

I'm not positive but I think any of the knobs on BPS reels work on the XT's handle.  Seems like I remember reading the Rick Clunn knobs feel more like Shimanos.

If you run a search in the Maint/Supertuine section of Tackle Tour you can find out some things about that handle.

I personally love the eva knobs and have Carbonlite handles on most of my reels.  If you decide you would like to sell them PM me.

The knobs should be removable, the ones on the regular patriarch are.  If the are just get a set of regular knobs from pure fishing, assuming they fit.

i agree about the curado E septon knobs. they are by far the grippiest, best-shaped knobs i've fished with and i've fished with a lot of different reels. however, they will not fit on your handle nor does shimano sell them separately (i've tried).

surprisingly, the knobs from the bass pro shops pro qualifier are very good. they're not as round as the curado E knobs but they're still meaty and grippy. they're even directional like the curado knobs (e.g., right-handed knobs are different than left-handed knobs). i replaced the foam knobs on my carbonlite handles with the PQ knobs and they work and feel great. i'm almost positive they'd fit your patriarch XT handle.

i can post a pic if you're interested.

how do you change just the knobs ?

I know on alot of JDM's they have a screw, but on USA models I dont see a way to take them off  :-[

I know on alot of JDM's they have a screw, but on USA models I dont see a way to take them off :-[

Put a 90degree bend in the end of a paperclip, put the bent end in the little hole in the cap on the end of the knob, pull, cap comes out, screws are underneath... 8-)

I know on alot of JDM's they have a screw, but on USA models I dont see a way to take them off :-[

Put a 90degree bend in the end of a paperclip, put the bent end in the little hole in the cap on the end of the knob, pull, cap comes out, screws are underneath... 8-)

Ahhhh, thanks!