Sign in to follow this  
BigMoneyGrip

Rod selection

Looking for some help with rod selection.

The rod will be used for small jigs and probably with weightless plastics. I'm looking at the Falcon Cara T7 Micro rod. They have one for jigs and another for weightless plastics. Which would be best?

This will be paired with a Curado 50E.

Thanks for your help,

Scott.

M/XF,

That would be my first choice in anything 7' or over  ;)

Technique labels on rods are recommendations and for the most part, marketing. Pay attention to the lure weight rating and go with the one that best covers the range of what you want to throw. You'll probably have better luck casting baits slightly over the stated rating. Trying to cast a super light bait on too heavy of a rod can be frustrating.

Get the Cara T7 micro Head Turner CCM-6-1610. I have mine paired with curado 50e and thats my wacky worm rod its perfect for me.. i also have the weightless worm rod and let me tell you it makes one hell of a topwater rod!! .. To me the weightless worm rod does not have enough backbone to be throwing a worm on it. On toledo there is alot of grass and standing timber so i want a rod that i can move the fish away from that as fast as i can.. and don't let the label heavy action scare you the head turner feels like a med hvy. Hope this helps!

Ya. Also keep in mind that Falcons are a little light in the power department.

And just for the record im using a Crucial 7' M/XF for my t-rigging and small jig duties. I highly recommend this rod.

And just for the record im using a Crucial 7' M/XF for my t-rigging and small jig duties. I highly recommend this rod.

nahhh not the Cara T7s maybe the bucoos and the HD.. To each his own though thats what great about this site you will get many great recomendations! Heres what i have found with the shimano cruicial rod (i have the 7ft med hvy)

my reasons why i like the Falcon Cara T7 more than the Crucial: the  cara is lighter, its available without the foregrip, i like the reel seat better on the cara, I think its more sensitive, you can get them with micro guides which those little things are growing on me i love mircro guides!

Just my preference, but I would never use a M power rod. When it comes to techniques such as finesse jigs and T-riggin I would rather be over powered then under powered.

With that being said, I like use a 7' H for my finesse jigs and 7' MH for t-rigged plastics..If you are looking for a rod that will be good for both techniques I would go with a 7' H, but like I said that is just my preference

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate the help.

There are just way too many choices and it gets confusing quick. I was wanting to try the micro guides and I like the Falcon rods.

Thanks Again,

Scott.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate the help.

There are just way too many choices and it gets confusing quick. I was wanting to try the micro guides and I like the Falcon rods.

Thanks Again,

Scott.

I know its confusing at first, but try out multiple different power rods. For each technique, choose which ones you feel the most comfortable with.

It's an elimination process, but for what you are looking for try either a MH or a H