Sign in to follow this  
Big Fish Rice

Technique specific

I have finally made the switch to all baitcasting equipment. Here's where I would like some input:

I currently have a 6'6" Compre Rod, Medium Power, Fast Action for 8-17lb line. It's been my multipurpose rod and works great with my Citica 201E for plastics, jigs, and light cranks.

I have a swimbait setup waiting in the works, just need to go and handle each one to verify my interests. So, this will be my second setup for heavy gear.

I need help with choosing another baitcast setup. Since I have the medium setup already mentioned above (Compre/Citica), what other combo would you recommend and for what technique?

I like the Crucial series from Shimano, but have been wanting to try the new Quantum Smoke lineup. Price range $300 for rod and reel.

Help me make up my mind!

What other lures do you want to fish besides the ones you already have listed?

I use a different rod for for jigs, plastics, and cranks, but if you are satisfied with your rod for all of these, I would stick with it.

You could get a rod for deep divers or spinnerbaits or something else.

Well, I'm staying with the 6'6" setup for now just due to financial restraints. I understand it's not the most ideal for what I have listed, but I have no other option.

I suppose I'm looking for a more efficient crankbait/spinnerbait setup. I realize that most own different combinations for these two techniques, but my hand is forced to compromise.

I know I'm looking at a 7' medium or medium heavy, I am merely trying to see what works for others as an efficient setup.

I would stay with the medium power rod you have right now for crankbaits although it's not ideal.

I use a 6'9" MH Vendetta for my spinnerbait and jig rod and it is working great for me. It's paired with a 7.1:1 BPS Pro Qualifier.

This set-up is well below your budget and is great for the price.

EDIT. I think they have the rod in 7' too, but not certain.

You can also check out the Veritas, they are great rods for the price. 

Said your second setup would be for heavy gear, and cranks?

I'd personally do as OHIO said, use the rod you have now for cranks, and get a nicer setup for jigs and plastics. A Dobyns Savvy Series 734 with a Revo STX or Curado E7 would be a great multi purpose setup for everything from Buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, plastics, senkos, jigs, spooks, and more. With Tackle Warehouse's sale coming up, you should be able to get it for right about $300 shipped.

Awesome, this is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I'll take all suggestions and I appreciate both pieces of advice.

I'm another vote for using the rod you have now for cranks and getting a Dobyns Savy Series 734 and a Curado e7.  Great combination that will last you for years and you shouldn't "grow out of". 

What you need is a more powerful rod than the one you aleady have, get a MH for spinnerbaits, jigs & weighted soft plastics, leave the M for unweighted or lightly weighted soft plastics, cranks ( a M will handle easily most crank weights except for the heaviest ones  ), topwaters.

I'll give ya one I like the looks of and it's a little cheaper.  Take a look at a Abu Orra and a Verdict.  I also like the looks of another Curado E7 and another Cumara.

Really liking both of these.

Something MH/F will fit in between the M/F you have and the heavy swimbait rig.

I have finally made the switch to all baitcasting equipment. Here's where I would like some input:

I currently have a 6'6" Compre Rod, Medium Power, Fast Action for 8-17lb line. It's been my multipurpose rod and works great with my Citica 201E for plastics, jigs, and light cranks.

I have a swimbait setup waiting in the works, just need to go and handle each one to verify my interests. So, this will be my second setup for heavy gear.

I need help with choosing another baitcast setup. Since I have the medium setup already mentioned above (Compre/Citica), what other combo would you recommend and for what technique?

I like the Crucial series from Shimano, but have been wanting to try the new Quantum Smoke lineup. Price range $300 for rod and reel.

Help me make up my mind!

I've been proliferating my arsenal of baitcasting equipment over the past two years...I now have ~15bc setups.

The best advice I can give is if you already have a M action setup, I would concentrate on MH or heavier for future purchases. I use MH or higher ~98% of the time. The few times I use M action BC anymore is for launching traps/shallow cranks in open water (i.e. lake okeechobee, open water bass feeding on schooling shad). My finesse rigs are spinning.

My $0.02.

Thanks a lot gentlemen for adding to the post..I have already been eyeing the verdict rod from Abu, and the STX.

Just trying to get a few combos down to go and handle.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks a lot gentlemen for adding to the post..I have already been eyeing the verdict rod from Abu, and the STX.

Just trying to get a few combos down to go and handle.

Thanks for the input!

Thats a very sensible choice and I think you will be very happy with it. Im also adding some Veritas rods to my already over stocked arsenal. You can usually find the STX on sale at one place or another. If your able to use lefty's Tackle Warehouse has some on clearance. If you dont use leftys Id recommend learning. I use both and use em (r/l) depending on technique. All of my reaction bait fishing is done with lefty's, all others with righty's.  Im right handed for reference.

Don't feel like you've got to go all bait casting all the time.  A few examples:    For light plastics, shakey heads, etc, a decent spinning rig will be just as or more sensitive and will give you more distance.   When it is time for fishing jerkbaits - a spinning rig will definitely give you more distance and wind direction becomes much less of an issue.

When the situation calls for throwing t-rigged senko imitators into gnarly cover (1-6 ft deep), I use a MH 6 1/2  foot spinning rod & reel,  30 lb braid and a fluorocarbon leader.  Drag isn't an issue - I tighten it down  as tight as I can get it.  For me this rig is much better at skipping and throwing into tight spots than a bait casting rig.

Just some more stuff to think about.

Dobyns Saavy 7' MH/F and a Daiwa Advantage HSTA Super Tuned.

Not only will you love this setup but it will look bad *** also 8-)

Dobyns Saavy 7' MH/F and a Daiwa Advantage HSTA Super Tuned.

Not only will you love this setup but it will look bad *** also 8-)

Do you have that set up or do you just think it would look bad *** ?

My uncle has it and i've used it  ;)

Nice setup, the looks of them together are just gravy.

Just to update everyone, I went ahead and took my list to my local Wholsale Sports.

Gotta admit, the Curado E7 and the Crucial 7' MH felt the best within my budget. I would like the Crucial even more if it was a tad bit lighter, but for the price, it's solid.

As a side note, the Revo STX felt great, but the Curado consistently receives high marks. I appreciate all the feedback...now to finalize my swimbait setup ;)

Good choice.  I've got several Crucials and they are all solid rods.  They mate up fantastically with a Curado.  From paint to performance, it's a fantastic match.