Sign in to follow this  
lynyrdsky1

Carolina Rig Rod Suggestions?

I'm planning on getting a better Carolina Rig Rod I just need to know whats best for my money. I'm only planning on spending $100. Looking for something above 7' to 7'6.

Thanks for the help,

Lynyrdsky

in that price range Id look at the Veritas or the Verdict by Abu Garcia. The 7'3  would be great for that.

Falcon Bucoo.

I had the 7' H "Lizard Dragger". I'd say the action was a MF and it was perfect for C-rigs IMO. Pretty sensitive too IMO.

http://www.castawayrods.com/home/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=329&category_id=47&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=10047

I love this rod its great Carolina or just worming or jig. Its great I have all castaway rods this one is $99 I wouldn't trade it for any other

truthfully...

almost everyone has really good rods at the 100 buck mark nowadays. its the go to price range. so really if you have a brand loyalty or preference than that rod will be fine.

my suggestion would be if youre going to spend a decent amount of time c-rigging....esp in 20+ft. of water... then get the nicest, most sensitive rod you can. deep water dragging is all about knowing what the bottom is like and nothing else you can throw can tell you as much as a c-rig.

its worth the investment cause you can use this same rod for deep jigging, casting spoons and slowrolling big spinnerbaits.

i personally throw a 7.6 shimano crucial and 15lb. flouro.

Falcon Original FC-6-17, Carolina Lizard Dragger $89.99 ;)

I wish i could find an old Allstar TItanium cause thats what i had but it broke. Does anyone know if St. Croix has a good carolina rod? Or would a carbonlite do well as one?

Pretty much any 7'-7'6" Hvy/Fast worm rod will handle C-rig duty. Like a jig or worm rod, the higher quality(sensitive) blank you can fit in the budget the better.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer spinning gear for C-rig. I grew up "bottom bouncing" for Walleye in Minnesota and we always used spinning gear. I think the ergonomics of bottom fishing 6' or deeper are just better with spinning equipment. Easier to feel the bottom, IMO. I have 7'6" H/F spinning rod that I use for saltwater/bass C-rig.

Anyway, something for you to consider if you are getting a dedicated C-rig outfit...

Falcon Bucoo.

I had the 7' H "Lizard Dragger". I'd say the action was a MF and it was perfect for C-rigs IMO. Pretty sensitive too IMO.

X2, a great rod. Sensitive, comfortable to fish, and it does alot of other things well.

If you're set on a baitcast setup and are firm on the $100 price,  I would give a good look at the abu veritas.  Warning: their ratings are light relative to other rods.  A veritas M is comparable to most MH. A MH veritas would have just about the optimum amount of backbone for carolina rigging, IMO.