Sign in to follow this  
tbird

Veritas

I was in Cabelas today and picked up a 6'6"MF Veritas just out of curiosity and played with it for a while, this is my impression.

First off I am not a fan of Abu rods but this rod is extremely light and crisp for a $99 rod. It handled more like a MHF than a M .but this very well may change once the rod is put under load.It appears to be well made and has SIC guide inserts or so the label said. This is the first lower end rod that has caught my attention in a while,to say the least I was impressed.Just for kicks I would be curious to see how it stacks up to some rods that cost $150+. Obviously handling a rod in a store cannot take the place of actually fishing with it but these are my initial impressions.

T

I was in Cabelas the other day and handled the Veritas as well. I handled the VRC70-5 M/MF and it felt stiffer/crisper than other M rods I have handled as well. While the rod was quite light playing around with it in the store the quality of the rod didn't seem that great to me. It was very light and I also wondered how it would feel under a load or out on the water as well.

I have the 7' M M/F Veritas.  It does handle more like a MH than a M and it is closer to fast than mod-fast.  I originally got it for shallow to medium cranks but it now is a spinnerbait rod.  I'm also going to pick up another for deep cranks.  I used it last week throwing a 5 size Fat Free Shad and it performed well.

I have the 7' M M/F Veritas. It does handle more like a MH than a M and it is closer to fast than mod-fast. I originally got it for shallow to medium cranks but it now is a spinnerbait rod. I'm also going to pick up another for deep cranks. I used it last week throwing a 5 size Fat Free Shad and it performed well.

How would you rate the rod sensitivity as a crankbait rod?

I don't really know how to rate the sensitivity.  It's definitely more sensitive than the BPS Crankin Stick or the Daiwa glass rods I've been using for the past few years.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I don't really know how to rate the sensitivity. It's definitely more sensitive than the BPS Crankin Stick or the Daiwa glass rods I've been using for the past few years. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks for the answer and it helped since my primary crankbait rod was a older Daiwa glass rod and it's the reason I'm looking to upgrade for next year.

I gotta say I do love how the Daiwa rods stick fish.  I used the 7' MH TDS rods for spinnerbaits and cranks.  I don't recall ever losing a fish on them, but they're not very light and sensitive!  I was using TDZ100's on them which made them a little more comfortable.

The Veritas is working out good for 3/8-1/2oz dbl willow spinnerbaits, but it is pushing it with a 1/2oz single #6 colorado.  In it's defense, a #6 colorado with a 6:1 reel will tax a lot of rods!  I'll try it with a 5:1 reel next time I get to fish and see how that works out.  I normally use a 5:1 reel and single blade baits in colder water, I just haven't got around to it yet this year.

Jason, I don't understand how your rod is being affected by the gear ratio of your reel.  Will you elaborate about your situation?

I think he's saying that the combination of a high resistance spinnerbait with a fast retrieve reel is putting a lot of pressure on the rod.

I picked up a 7'3" MH Veritas yesterday at BPS. It's my new med-sized swimbait rod. Took it out this morning for a couple hours...caught two little bass and about a 5lb snakehead. A little early to make any real conclusions, but so far I'm really impressed with this rod. I agree that the ratings for this brand are a little low...this is the stiffest MH rod I have (I have about 15 MH rods).

Again...haven't had much time with it, but I can't imagine theres a better $99 rod available right now.

I think he's saying that the combination of a high resistance spinnerbait with a fast retrieve reel is putting a lot of pressure on the rod.

that's it :)

that's it :)

Thanks.

I picked up a 7'3" MH Veritas yesterday at BPS. It's my new med-sized swimbait rod. Took it out this morning for a couple hours...caught two little bass and about a 5lb snakehead. A little early to make any real conclusions, but so far I'm really impressed with this rod. I agree that the ratings for this brand are a little low...this is the stiffest MH rod I have (I have about 15 MH rods).

Again...haven't had much time with it, but I can't imagine theres a better $99 rod available right now.

please tell me you killed that fn snakehead!! i would have heart attack if those things made there way to texas

I will be adding some of these to my arsenal. Ive noticed more typical actions on the verdict and vendetta models. I think the paint they are using may be effecting the rod stiffness(guessing) . They are great rods for the money. Id suffest checking out the $79 Vendetta's also, You will be pleasantly suprised.

i have a question for all the veritas rod owners  will this rod fish good with braid , mono , or fluorocarbon and which ones better ? I usually use braid , and fluorocarbon in my pond but just wondering will this rod with stand braid line . I do have the berkley lightning shock rod that are made for superlines so what do u think about the rod and braid tie with this on you reel and rod? In my mind  I am  afraid of  that the braid will  break the rod what is your suggestion on it ?

It with stood Mike Iaconelli all year Im sure braid will be a walk in the park. I intend to use one as a frog rod and another as a punch rod. Both will have 65lb spiderwire on em.

It with stood Mike Iaconelli all year Im sure braid will be a walk in the park. I intend to use one as a frog rod and another as a punch rod. Both will have 65lb spiderwire on em.

LOL.  If Ike hasn't broken it, the rest of us probably don't need to worry about it.

BTW..I got a couple more fish on my veritas yesterday just chuckin around the golf course pond. I really like this thing, so far.

Berkley, almost all new rods will handle braid now.  The majority are using quality components that will be able to handle without a problem.  The major issue in years past was braided line cutting into the guide inserts.  With the guides that most major manufacturers are using now, you won't have to worry about it.

I would say the Veritas feels very close to a carrot stik. Thats what it felt like to me anyways.