Sign in to follow this  
lightsout

bearing on a wormshaft

Guys,

Does the bearing on the end of the wormshaft contribute to smoothness on the reel, or is it more for durability? My new Pro qualifier tournament doesnt have one and I'm considering putting one in, in addition to some other mods.

Would it be worth it?

In general, a bearing will provide durability over a bushing. Other advantages that could be gained depend on the age and condition of the parts being replaced and of the reel overall. What is your goal of the Mods you're doing? I often find that the expectations of what results modifications/upgrades/tuning.. will yield is unrealistic. I'm by no means opposed to tuning and mods, but I could render a more thoughtful opinion if I know what your goal is. Are you dissatisfied with reels performance? Are you just looking for a fun project?

A bearing on the worm shaft is a waste on a PQ, IMO.  Now, if you were using a wide spool reel where the level wind doesn't disengage when the spool is free, then you'll see casting gains with two bearings supporting the worm shaft.  As far smoothness is concerned, a high ABEC rating plus fine oil may actually make the retrieve less smooth, and more mechanical.

For all out smoothness, have it service by a pro.  Ask that the crankshaft support, pinion support, and knob bearings be packed in grease, the rest in some medium fine oil like Shimano Bantam Oil.

In general, a bearing will provide durability over a bushing. Other advantages that could be gained depend on the age and condition of the parts being replaced and of the reel overall. What is your goal of the Mods you're doing? I often find that the expectations of what results modifications/upgrades/tuning.. will yield is unrealistic. I'm by no means opposed to tuning and mods, but I could render a more thoughtful opinion if I know what your goal is. Are you dissatisfied with reels performance? Are you just looking for a fun project?

This all for fun, just trying to gather info and determine what I'm going to do this winter. I did a few things to an E7 and a 08' revo Sx and was really pleased with the results.

With the PQT, I'm thinking about going to a longer handle, carbontex drag, flushing and relubing the bearings with a lighter oil, put a clicking cast control knob on it (  donated from a revo premier/ carbonlite???),  polish a few things, and see where it gets me.

A bearing on the worm shaft is a waste on a PQ, IMO. Now, if you were using a wide spool reel where the level wind doesn't disengage when the spool is free, then you'll see casting gains with two bearings supporting the worm shaft. As far smoothness is concerned, a high ABEC rating plus fine oil may actually make the retrieve less smooth, and more mechanical.

For all out smoothness, have it service by a pro. Ask that the crankshaft support, pinion support, and knob bearings be packed in grease, the rest in some medium fine oil like Shimano Bantam Oil.

John is the bantam oil diffrent than what comes with shimano reels standard?

I added a worm bearing to my 2 (Daiwa) Fuego's and a Sol. I like to tinker, so I do stuff like this regarless of what its "worth"

It's worth it to me, and that's all that counts   8-)

A bearing on the worm shaft is a waste on a PQ, IMO. Now, if you were using a wide spool reel where the level wind doesn't disengage when the spool is free, then you'll see casting gains with two bearings supporting the worm shaft. As far smoothness is concerned, a high ABEC rating plus fine oil may actually make the retrieve less smooth, and more mechanical.

For all out smoothness, have it service by a pro. Ask that the crankshaft support, pinion support, and knob bearings be packed in grease, the rest in some medium fine oil like Shimano Bantam Oil.

John is the bantam oil diffrent than what comes with shimano reels standard?

Clear bottle with a blue top, says Bantam on the side. :)