Sign in to follow this  
roch1

New guy from Rochester, NY

I have been here in Rochester about 8 years now. I lived for quite a few years down south in Florida and Louisiana. My parents have a place in Mobile, AL and Florida so the southern fishing trips continue.

I never really got into too much fishing here till recently. Just the weekend I went out to Mendon Ponds and Durand pond using mostly watermelon worms and frogs. Lets just say I was spoiled down south. Oh well I guess I need to make the best of what I have.

Looks like a great forum and I plan on sticking around for awhile. He is a pic of my latest trip to Florida. I caught this one on a blue and chrome rattle trap.

Whoops guess I need 10 posts before I can post the pic. As soon as I get there I will slapp it up

How was mendon ponds? I found at the beginning of the year it was alright fishing, but everything seems to be full of weeds now, seems like you need a canoe in mendon to get anywhere thats opens up a little bit.

Yeah it was tough as there really only seemed to be a few places to fish from the shore. Tons of weeds everywhere like you said, I also couldnt believe how clear that water is.

I am going to look into getting a little bass buster or something soon, thats for sure.

I've been fishing mendon this past summer and i've found a couple spots that have worked for me from shore.

Mostly the little foot bridge on Deep pond has been the best. I've been fishing it with a 3" t-rigged shad around the lilly pads. Nothing too exciting but draged close to 20 dinks out of there.

This last weekend i got lucky with a 1/8 spinner in the same spot.

I'm curious if anyone else has reccemendations for fishing those ponds too.

Welcome aboard.  Get a fishing kayak instead, and start fishing bigger waters for bigger fish....

;)

546709512_Bw3qM-L.jpg

Agree with francho, even a little row boat will work great. Plenty of bays around here to fish all within a 45 minute drive.

I really only fish the durand ponds in the spring cause now it is just too congested with weeds. But i have pulled two 6 pounders out of those ponds, flippin. Also some monster pike live in those waters I have seen three come out and ****** a bedding bluegill. Once the weeds move in a spro frog will become your best friend.

Well I actually just picked up a boat last night. It is the Pelican 10e, it came with a trolling motor and oars, all I need now is a battery.

Francho is that Irondequoit Bay? If so where abouts in the Bay is the best fishing? The Bay is going to be a big place for the little boat I just picked up.

Also does anyone know if you can use boats in Durand and Eastman Lake?

I have seen many of the small bass raiders in those ponds. I think its electric only so you should be fine. As for bay fishing, right at the launch on the irondequoit side to the north, if you take a right there are a bunch of docks and some heavy weed cover. That spot is usually good for a big fish. Also one cove (not sure where exactly) has trees over hanging all around it, this is good for a few decent fish 2-3 lbs. And up next to the bridge if you are facing south, on the right there is a little marina, in there has shown some nice fish as well. I got to all these spots in a canoe so you should be fine with oars.

No that isn't I-bay.  For I-bay, you basically need to work your way down either shore, fishing in 8-15 FOW until you find fish.  Then pick the spot apart.  dmac14 recommended some community holes that should produce.

Thanks guys, I will have to give those spots a try.

Now I just need to figure out how to register the boat. The guy had no paperwork, used it once and never registered it. I am sure DMV will make me jump through hoops.

I think if you don't have a gas engine on it, registration is not needed. Look into that online, but I am pretty sure thats the way it is.

I called DMV to check and unfortunately if you plan on using any type of motor, gas or electric they require registration. It looks like I am going to have a ton of forms to fill out.

Hmmm well then glad no coast guard has stopped me lol.

ANY boat with ANY motorized propulsion whatsoever MUST be redistered if it is to be used on ANY NYS waterways.  Somewhere there should be  hull ID (HID), stamped into the hull.  Feel around, and you'll come across it.

Well I got the boat all registered on Friday, not as bad as I thought. I went fishing this morning at the deep pond in Mendon Ponds Park. I was on the water at 6 and fished till about 8.

I started out throwing a horny toad and texas worm, I wasnt getting anything so I switced to a spinnerbait. Within the first 5 min of throwing it I had a fish on, it plled hard and I thought I had a decent bass. Nope, just a pike at 24" long. Had another Pike on in about 15 min and this one was bigger. It completly destroyed my spinner bait, and it was brand new.

So no bass but two Pike, I guess better then nothing but a bit disappointing. Tomorrow I plan on trying the 100 Acre pond and hope to get some bass, we will see.

Tomorrow I plan on trying the 100 Acre pond and hope to get some bass, we will see.

Good luck. There's no shortage of bass in there, but I haven't had much luck with them the last couple of years. However, a friend just bought a kayak a couple of weeks ago and he got a half-dozen decent bass on its maiden voyage. I asked him what he used and he said Banjo Minnow, so maybe soft jerkbaits could be a good option.

Tomorrow I plan on trying the 100 Acre pond and hope to get some bass, we will see.

Good luck. There's no shortage of bass in there, but I haven't had much luck with them the last couple of years. However, a friend just bought a kayak a couple of weeks ago and he got a half-dozen decent bass on its maiden voyage. I asked him what he used and he said Banjo Minnow, so maybe soft jerkbaits could be a good option.

I had a nice bass on a horny toad today, I am guessing 2-3 lbs. I was out there for about an hour and a half starting around 2 and I was surprised at how much activity there was for the time of day I was out there, I had about 3 or 4 misses.

I will have to see if i have any banjo minnows, maybe I will give those a try next time.