Sign in to follow this  
zero

potomac river help

i am going to be fishing in a tournament at potomac river at april 17 and i am wondering what lure is good for spring and color of the lure

mattawoman and chixumanan

but we leave at fort washingtion or marshall ramp or smallwood ramp but we will find out where we launch in april

Spinner baits, buzz baits, shallow cranks, senkos...fish the lower Potomac the same way you would fish your local lake this time of year, except take the current and tides into account. I have never found a one shot fits all lure for the very finicky lower Potomac.

what about rat traps and curly tail worms?

and also what blade is good for spinnerbait

double willow or colorado/willow?

what about rat traps and curly tail worms?

and also what blade is good for spinnerbait

double willow or colorado/willow?

I'd fish either a single or double colorado bladed spinnerbait first.

There are so many different situations on the lower river. You could be fishing rock piles or mud flats, creek channels, or flats with lilly pads, sand bars, gravel pits...you name it! So, be prepared to change up as the situation presents itself. Yes, the ribbon tail and the trap are both good...in the right situation! That time of year, be shallow prepared with a little of everything...someone has to feed the bait monkey!

Don't not throw a rattle trap of some sort.

Finding an area that's holding fish is much more important than what you've got tied on. At that time of the year just about any lure you're proficient with will work if you're in an area that's got fish, especially if we've had relatively mild weather. The only thing I wouldn't throw is topwater. Not that you wouldn't find a few takers, but if I paid an entry fee, I would concentrate my efforts under the water.

If you're wantin fishin info for a T, you should be askin some guys if they wouldn't mind throwin you a bone and lay a few spots on you via PM, the lure and color is secondary.

i would post this in the se section.

Fort washington just might be real good in april, not sure. I had luck when I fished there over the summer. Lots of big hawgs in piscataway creek.  And plz dont forget about the swim jig. No one seems to talk about swimmin jigs but they are dynamite. Partly cuz not alot of guys throw them on the river, so fish arent as used to seeing them as they are with crankbaits, traps, spinnerbaits, etc..I caught at least 60 percent of my potomac fish last year on a Daves Tournament Tackle swim jig with a rage tail trailer. Good luck and be careful out there.