Sign in to follow this  
Irrelevant

Mississippi - Lake Okhissa

Anyone hit this place yet?  And do you perhaps have any pictures, pretty please?  ;)  Information on MDWFP.com is pretty sparse.

No one answered you.

I guess they are all out celebrating LSU's win over Ohio State.

Or ringing their cowbells in Starkville.

Or singing Dixie in Oxford.

Just kidding.

Never heard of the lake.

Hope you received some "PM's" about this body of water.

To be honest, I would've probably never heard of it if it weren't for a co-worker.  I don't know why news isn't getting out about it.  It looks like it was started in 1999 but then closed soon after due to logistics reasons.  

The few files (some pictures and topo maps) related to the lake are on the MDWFP web server but aren't linked to anywhere.

The Forest Service is constructing a 1000-acre lake and recreation area that will provide water, land and nature-based recreation opportunities.  Okhissa Lake will have 39 miles of shoreline, all on National Forest lands.

World-renowned bass fisherman "Bill Dance" has sanctioned Okhissa Lake as his first "Bill Dance Signature Lake" as he was involved in the fish habitat from the planning stage.  Natural spawning sites are limited in Okhissa Lake because of steep slopes and no rocky areas.  Placement of spawning beds enhance the productivity and fisheries habitat of the lake and will improve the quality of fishing experiences. To improve the lake fishery habitat, fish structures were installed before the lake bottom was flooded.

Not alot of info on this website about southern lakes because it is filed with nothing but yankees who love TALKING about bass fishing.  If you go on a sportsmans website for Louisiana (where the real anglers and hunters are) you will find boo-koo reports on okhissa because these old boys do not mind driving too Bude to fish...........ohhh and btw, they ENCOURAGE you to take your daily limit.

I have been there and it is something to see.  Very good lake.  Fish are the prettiest colar green i've seen in a while.  It is very deep and full of humps and channels.  It will be a very good lake for years to come.  I love it, it's only 27 minutes form my house, too!

I have been there and it is something to see.  Very good lake.  Fish are the prettiest colar green i've seen in a while.  It is very deep and full of humps and channels.  It will be a very good lake for years to come.  I love it, it's only 27 minutes form my house, too!

Hello, fellow Mississippian.    Yeah, I've been told it's 80 ft deep in some places, but I'm not sure if that's true.  I know the guy who told me that he always catches the limit on bass and panfish when he goes, talking about bluegill with backs that are an inch and a half across.

You probably saw this but if you didnt here ya go:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/mississippi/homochitto/recreation/index.shtml

I have not fished this lake but have wanted to. With it being a new lake the fish are still really naive. Like Calling Panther people wore the fish out the first month or so. If you do fish it, let me know how it goes. I'm thinking about going down there later in the spring.

Its the real deal! Threw back 2 in the slot and 3 that were less than 13". We were the 2nd boat there and the 2nd to last to take out. The guys we were first there and last to leave caught 50, biggest 2 were 6.5# and 5# (told us they were caught on black and blue jigs in 20 to 40 feet of water). This report comes from tuesday 2/5/08. God bless and vote for Mike Huckabee

post-2444-130162940357_thumb.jpg

Before we have any CATCH & RELEASE comments, this lake just opened and is being managed INTENSIVELY by the US Forest Service. Harvest of fish (10 bass) below and above the slot is wanted so this lake doesn't become bass crowded. It's already very productive as you can see by Bassguy's post. Three years after stocking and already catching fish 6+ lbs, and there probably some much bigger than this yet to be caught.

I'm definitely making a trip there now :).