Sign in to follow this  
Josey Wales

Lake Lanier in GA

I am currently living in Michigan and was invited by my father to do some fishing down at this lake in GA.

I can only take a limited amount of tackle due to the fact that I am making this a more of a family oriented trip then anything else.  I will more then likely be taking my father fishing as well (who knows nothing about it or I would be asking him)

What type of lake is this and what am I going to encounter?

If anyone who fishes this lake would like to drop some suggestions as to lures and what im gonna run into I would greatly appreciate it.  

Just found this forum too... Looks like a great source of information.

Welcome aboard!

8-)

Welcome.

Lanier is a tough lake. Are you against hiring a guide?

Never against hiring a guide, but perhaps I should explain the scenario in more detail while trying not to bore the hell out of ya =)

Believe me when I say that im not bragging, but I seem to think of myself as a fairly skilled angler. While I know that fishing in the North can be different from the South in many respects, I also know that there are some simmilarities.

Since I stopped my baseball career in the minors, my father has missed the certain connection that came from it. All his life he has detested fishing due to the fact that his fathers idea was just sitting in a rowboat for hours with a bobber and worms. While there is nothing wrong with this approach it isnt for everyone. I started in much the same way as a youngster, and since then have evolved my techniques and abilities to what I like to think is more of a power fishing style. Not just for bass either. However I am rambling and will try and get to the point here.

basically I am visiting from the 13th to the 16th, and while I would love nothing more then to trailer the ole boat down and attack the lake for hours a day, the more realistic assesment is that because I am taking family allong my time will be limited. Ive basically conceeded the point that ill have maybe 3 hours a day, or even an evening to try and respark my fathers fishing intrests. He purchased himself a rod and Reel and one for me to use as well cause I dont want to risk mine on a plane.

I would say that im proficient in most areas of bass fishing. My grass flipping needs the most work, but I dont run into that very much here in MI.

If guides can be hired for 3 hours I am not against it, but I must also be ready to attempt a guideless blind excursion. He did say that his house there is on St Michaels Bay if that helps.

Thank you again for your advice and patience in this longwinded post.

I would still hire a guide for a half day if you can. Spotted bass are a different animal all together. They locate on offshore structure and move around a lot due to the blueback Herring in the lake. A guide is almost a must. I can make a phone call to a friend of mine and he can help you get in touch with the best one on the lake. Then you can talk times with him.

Speaking of the lake, it is way down due to the two year drought we are having. It is dangerous if you don't know it well.

Lanier is also one of the best Stripped Bass lakes in the country. That might be a good idea if you can get away with your dad for a day. There is nothing like getting your arm broke by a 30lb+ freshwater monster.

Lake Lanier is being affected by a severe drought for the last few years. It was down over 20 feet at one time.  You might want to hire a guide.

If you want to go at it yourself, here's a few things that might help you get started.

The fish are offshore pretty much 95% of the year and move constantly, chasing Bluebacks.  Once the water hits 60, the topwater bite will be incredible.  Last time I was there it was 54.  It should reach 60 soon.  Anyway, throw that topwater over humps and points.  You should find some fish doing that.  Also make sure to have some jerkbaits and spinnerbaits to throw over those same humps and points.  If you are having trouble finding them on main lake, then go in to Bald Ridge (my favorite spot on the lake) and try to find some schooling fish.  You should have no trouble at all seeing them.  It is hard to miss a group of 2-6lb spots DESTROYING a group of Bluebacks.  If you can't find schoolies, then go fish docks and steep banks with a dropshot or jighead/worm.  Some of my biggest spots have come off docks, so don't think your wasting your time fishing them.

If you need some more help, shoot me a pm and I will give you my digits so I can actually talk rather than trying to explain by typing.

awesome information guys... I really appreciate it.  I talked with my father on wed, and he said that he had contacted a guide through the local tackle shop where he lives.  Stripers sound like a ton of fun, and I hope that is an option.  I have seen pics he has sent of his bay, and the water IS way down.  Regardless I hope to have some good pics to share soon weather permitting.  Ill try and get the guide information he is going to use, maybe you guys know of the guide.

hopefully that cold front is out of there by Fri, and that water warms up for that topwater bite.  What do you suggest over those humps? Spooks? Pop-R's? Spitnimage? Buzzbaits or all the above?

Thanks again.

Sorry I didn't go more in depth about the topwaters.  The key to Lanier topwater fishing is convincing a Spot to chase your bait.  You might think that you would want to go slow, but the most succesful way to fish a topwater bait out there is to literally RACE it across the surface.  I Fish the full sized Super Spooks and personally, I like to add a red treble hook on the front.  Throw the bait wait out, and reel it in fast with a constant pumping motion.  When a fish strikes, wait until you feel pressure to set the hook.  Alot of times it will take a few strikes form the fish to actually hook up.  When the fish hits it, keep moving it just as fast, if not faster.  If you slow it down they wont hit again.

I know moving it fast sounds crazy, but just try it.  I promise it will kill them out there.

Is the guide your father found, Ryan Coleman?

No need to apologize, I will surely try what you are suggesting...  I got some tricks to throw at em... Ill work it all fast like you suggested.  As for the guide I will ask him tommorow, then let ya know.  

Thanks again

I gotta ask this:Josey Wales as in the Outlaw? Mr. Chain Blue Lightning "his self"? "Move slows so I can count the hairs on that hand"Mr.Josey Wales,move slow like "lasses" in winter time.You boys gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?" All time favorite movie next to Good Bad & Ugly.No offense meant if that really is your given name. :)

My dad had a sick sense of humor... JK... its just my all time fav movie.

when he spits on the salesman and asks him how his Elixir is on stains... Priceless.

Water was WAY down, went out by the dam with a guide and caught 1 10 lb striper... then a COLD rain came in and shut the fish down...  Didnt get a bump or bite the rest of the day... quit @ noon due to rain.  Then the storms that ripped atlanta came in, and I never went back out.  Didnt get skunked tho I guess.