Sign in to follow this  
masscj7

Vacation to NC, might fish and suggestions

Hey guys,

First off I'm a newbie on the forums here and this will be my  first post. I'm actually from the Northeast, but next week I'll be vacationing in North Carolina, actually on Oak Island, near Southport. I can't think of a better way to spend some vacation time other than fishing, and I would love the chance to land some of those Carolina largemouths that I hear so much about, the bass up here don't get that big usually.

My question is can anyone suggest some places to go within probably an hour drive of the Oak Island area that has some good public access fishing. I will not have my boat, so its either shore casting or if there are any places that do rental. I do have my own gear. Thanks for any info anyone can provide and what a well of knowledge this forum is!

derek

Derek,

All I can suggest is to be sure to have a freshwater and a saltwater fishing license for North Carolina.

To be on the safe side.

Sorry, but we will have to let the Tarheels out there give you suggestions on where to fish.

Just have those licenses.

I've heard Lake Sutton outside of Wilmington is good for largemouths and catfish. I know the lake has alot of timber in it. I'm not sure how the bank fishing is though. (Beware, there are Alligators.)  ;)  ;D

If you want to try saltwater fishing, you are in a great location for it. Ocean Crest Peir (http://www.oceancrestpier.net/) is very nice. You could try bottom fishing for Flounder, Pompano, and Whiting or fish Got-cha plugs for Spanish Mackeral and Blues.

Southport is also a very nice place to visit.

I live in Wilmington, it is about 45-1 hr drive from Wilmington. If want to freshwater fish, there is Sutton Lake. It is on Highway 421 North, outside of Wilmington. It is kind of hard to find. The road going to the Lake is right beside the NH County fire services station. The lake is about a mile or 2 down that road, which turns to dirt. There is a small fishing dock there. If you take your boat be careful, there are lots of stumps in there.

On Oak Island, as the Jake mentioned there is Ocean Crest Pier. That is the only remaining peir on OI, or you could launch in the ICW and fish the mouth of the Cape Fear river.

Also you will need a freshwater license or a salt water license depending on where you are fishing. If you fish at Ocean Crest pier, I do not think you will need a license because I believe they have a blanket license.

Here is the link for them:http://www.oceancrestpier.net/

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys,

I won't have a boat, so it'd be shore fishing only. I know the pier, been down to it several times in the last couple of times down. The thought of pier fishing though doesn't really entice me. Thanks for the info though.

Look on NCAngler.com and all your questions will be answerd for you. Enjoy your vaction I'll be down there in a couple of months save some fish me.