Sign in to follow this  
VTechHokie

New River

Hey!

im going to Virginia Tech, and im going to the new river.

Any tips? suggestions, comments. anything will help alot.

im am new to smallmouth so i need to get a little advice.  

just in case it matters i'll be fishing around McCoy falls.

Spoke to a guy today who fished up that way.

He threw a jig head with a chartreuse single tail grub and said they caught smallie after smallie after smallie after smallie.

He said he threw into the current and let the jig just float back to him.

Give it a shot.  Probably a1/32 jig head with a chartreuse grub.

Personally, I like an orange jig head with a double tail Motor Oil grub.

Have fun and enjoy Tech.  Great school. Best five or six years of your life!!!  ;D

I regret not fishing the New River while my daughter attended Radford University.  There are some nice smallies in there.  I need to plan a weekend trip down ther and fish that river soon.

yeah, its real nice. even though i havent really caught a whole lot yet, its just really nice to be out there

You may want to try using some Gitzit  tubes.  You can by a box kit for under $10 from Walmart.  I usually have great luck using them for smallies.  I have also had recent luck with Joes flies, they are an inline spinnerbait that can be purchased at Walmart for about $2.50 a piece.

I PROB FISHED THE NEW ABOUT 10 TIMES THIS YEAR. IT HAS BEEN AWESOME. WATER IS DOWN RIGHT NOW. TUBES TUBES TUBES. 3' GREEN PUNKIN TUBE OR LEECH COLORED OR PUMPKINSEED IN THE DEEPER, SWIFTER HOLES AND YOU SHOULD GET A FEW ON BUZZBAITS. I LIKE THE LITTLE STRIKE KING 1/4 OUNCE /CHART OR WHITE OR BOOYAH POND MAGICS FOR THE NEW RIVER. MY COUSIN CAUGHT A 22' A LITTLE OVER 2 WEEKS AGO IN THE HINTON POOL.

The New is almost certainly one of  (if not) Virginia's prettiest rivers. I am at JMU for one more year of school and I have to say, the New almost makes me wish I had enrolled at VT

I had luck with Gitzit tubes out there.  I really wish I had fished more during my 4 years at Radford.  I definitely bring my gear each time I go back to see friends now.

That's a beauty!

8-)

::packs bags for Radford::, see you guys later lol ;D

Seriously though, wow the coloration on that smallie is amazing. The whole time my sister was down there for college I had SOOOOO many opportunities to fish that area.

Myself

Are you referring to the park down by the soccer fields once you go down the road with all the dorms on it???  It looks real pretty down there.  Is that specific area wadeable?  Might not be worth the 3 hour + drive, but if I can find somewhere to stay for a night... hmmmm lol.

Have to wait til' after the wife delivers though and make it a "family trip" or "quality time" fishing with the family lol.

Booten,

That is a gorgeous animal.

Simply beautiful.

Hope our Hokie friend can do the same.  ;)

Seriously though, wow the coloration on that smallie is amazing. The whole time my sister was down there for college I had SOOOOO many opportunities to fish that area.

Myself

Are you referring to the park down by the soccer fields once you go down the road with all the dorms on it??? It looks real pretty down there. Is that specific area wadeable? Might not be worth the 3 hour + drive, but if I can find somewhere to stay for a night... hmmmm lol.

Have to wait til' after the wife delivers though and make it a "family trip" or "quality time" fishing with the family lol.

Jason, yes, you can wade the river near the athletic fields. There are some deep holes as well as an area loaded with grass, but a lot of it is perfectly wadeable.

Myself

Are you referring to the park down by the soccer fields once you go down the road with all the dorms on it??? It looks real pretty down there. Is that specific area wadeable? Might not be worth the 3 hour + drive, but if I can find somewhere to stay for a night... hmmmm lol.

yeah, as Dan notes, its all pretty shallow. There are a few deeper holes on the back run, and one hole under the bridge. I'll post more pics once I've hit my 10 post requirement. Doing them one by one for now, lol.

post-15966-130162941527_thumb.jpg

yall, i went today and caught just a lot of rock bass and a few really little smallmouth.  but i missed a few that could have been good.  

but im going tomorrow morning pretty early in a different spot so hopefully i'll do better!

i was using mostly a GY hula grub in green pumpkin. and a few little tubes that i caught a couple on.  but if any of yall have any other advise about something to use it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Well I leave Thursday to move into my apartment in Blacksburg. The New River has always been a place my dad and I have fished and I can't wait to be able to fish it when ever I want now.

The picture on the left is from there earlier this year. Caught it on a Gulp Alive Shad. Did really well with Yum's Houdini worm about a month ago there also. My dad has fished a 3" Berkley Power Grub ever since I can remember and he has caught some really nice ones there. Two of which are on the wall now.

cool deal, are you going to school here? im assuming you are.

i'll have to try out some of those things.  im already kind of planning out my game plan for lures the next time i go.

Actually no, I'm going to Radford. My gf is going to tech though and that's why I live closer to tech.

Beautiful smallie, Booten.

I love that are of VA.  I grew up in Christiansburg never fished the New River though sorry.  I remember Claytor Lake being a good fishin spot. (15+ years ago) Dont know how it is now.

Ive heard that claytor is not too bad. alot of smallies and muskies and stuff.  the only problem is that i dont have a boat. otherwise i would be there all day everyday.

Yeah I think Claytor is pretty underrated.  My psychology TA got two citation size smallmouth there in one trip and he said he really didn't fish all that much.  I go to Tech too so me and VABasser may be able to show you a thing or too.  The only thing is the New is pretty new to us too. (no pun intended)

that sounds pretty cool, where are you staying this year?

i know that i'm going to really try to explore more of the new and find good spots to fish.  I have already found 3 or 4 good stretches of river to fish and im always looking for more.