Sign in to follow this  
Mepps

Frustration

Whats up guys,

I had to vent a bit here. Yesterday in the evening after a long day of the "honeydo" list, I was able to get to a local farm pond. I was able to land 6 fish, all under 1lb. Nothing photo worthy. So around 7pm I saw a massive swirl, on the other side of the pond. I tied on a #5 Black Fury, (black/white dots) and hurl it out far as I can. 2 turns of my reel and its fish on, I mean big fish. All I could think is "dont jump, please dont jump" and It was taking line like no ones business. I had the fish in over half way to the shore and sure enough, it does come to the surface, and spits my lure back at me like it was making fun. I've been fishing for a long time, and been on this site for some time also and I can say this fish was easily over 8lbs. It was pulling like a freight train, and in an instant, it was over. Needless to say, I threw everything at it but the kitchen sink for over an hour, but she didnt come back for more. So sad. Sorry guys I just had to vent. >:(

I'll definitely be back for her, and I'll keep you posted.  

sorry to hear that kevin! you'll get'em next time. You free this weekend?

That's the name of the game, suck it up and get back out there.

*pats butt*

Trevor, i have not seen any rump slapping in fishing...............So do not start a new trend!!! It could get kinda wierd !?!?!? ;)

Better to have fished and lost, then never to have fished at all.  Wait, didn't someone quote that wrong earlier today (twice).

Man, talk about one of the worst feelings. The important thing is that you try to take something from it. You'll get her next time.

Hey, at least you know whats lurking out there :D

Hey thanks for all of the comments guys. Ya'll are great. Funny too.  ;D

I'm confident I can get back out there and get her. I'm just not sure what to use. I'm thinking of going with the live bluegill setup. Whatever I throw, its gotta be pretty big. Any ideas?

at least challenge yourself with a blue gill swimbait... not live bait

i'd go back at night with a 3/8 oz black spinnerbait with indiana and colorado blades...  

big bait... big fish

at least challenge yourself with a blue gill swimbait... not live bait

i'd go back at night with a 3/8 oz black spinnerbait with indiana and colorado blades...

big bait... big fish

Not a bad idea of going at night. I'm probably going this weekend to try a few things. I was thinking a jig of course, but i've got little confidence there. Also thinking about a 10" Culprit worm, or maybe give that 3/8oz spinnerbait a try. Just curious Trev, why those blades specifically?

Gotta come up with something to snag this baby. 8-)

Kevin, the use of those blades will create vibrations in the water that will allow the bass to find the bait at night.

Mepps,

I agree with all of the above, especially that you know she is there.

I have a local pond where I caught a six-pounder earlier this year but so far she has eluded me.  Driving me crazy, or crazier.

So keep on trying and if you can't catch her let us know and a bunch of us will venture to the pond and give it our best shot.  ;D   ;D   ;D

That's the name of the game, suck it up and get back out there.

*pats butt*

Trevor, i have not seen any rump slapping in fishing...............So do not start a new trend!!! It could get kinda wierd !?!?!? ;)

Weird?  How could that be weird???  Two guys, out fishing on a remote pond, slapping each other on the buttocks?????  Nothing weird about that is there??????   Come on now, isnt this the age of the metrosexual?????   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

just kidding guys... .  8-)

seriously though

If the big bladed spinnerbait does not get her attention,  go with a 4/0 gammy jig head with a Monster worm in your favorite color.... Just remember, big baits for big fish!!!!!

wait a minute now. I get the whole "big bait-big fish" idea, but didn't you say that you initially hooked her on an inline spinner? Don't rule out a whole pattern or size of bait that has proven successful. You should try the same lures, big lures, and maybe other small lures as well. Basically, don't just get stuck on big baits if this fish has already hit a small one.

Dan, I agree with what you are saying also. I used a #5 Black Fury, one of the largest they have, yet still small in the grand scheme of things. This thing vibrates like crazy too. I might just come right back with it or another color #5 to start, and if nothing go with the 10" worm and if that wont work, i might have to get Andrew out there to root her out.... :D

Dan, I agree with what you are saying also. I used a #5 Black Fury, one of the largest they have, yet still small in the grand scheme of things. This thing vibrates like crazy too. I might just come right back with it or another color #5 to start, and if nothing go with the 10" worm and if that wont work, i might have to get Andrew out there to root her out.... :D

I know you'll get her! Dan's totally right! Didn't even think about that till he brought it up. Shows how inexperienced I am! Hopefully both of us break the 7lb mark for 2008 this weekend!

yea, I can read too... I know what he caught it on

sure a smaller bait WILL catch a bigger fish, hell... my dad and i used a floating crankbait tied to a jig as a buoy marker once and saw it get destroyed by a huge bass just sitting there, many things WILL catch big bass, things you've haven't even considered i'm sure.  But if you don't agree that your chances are much greater with a bigger bait, well sorry but you're just dumb, that all there is to it, I tell it like it is.

like it was stated, fatter blades, more distribution of vibrations, it's pretty much common sense when comparing blades if you just lay the different types out next to each other on a table or something.  

Good luck, post the picture in a few years when you finally get 'em! :P

We need good advice and friendship on the board, not name calling.  If you think others' logic for fishing tactics is flawed, just say so and why and maybe a healthy debate will ensue.  Let's not make excuses for being rude.  

Trevor I agree with you on the big baits for big fish theory, that is the theory I use. That is why my numbers are not high as high as others but the quality of the bass I catch is usually prettty sweet.  I would much rather throw a big bait and not have the smaller bass hitting my baits, although I have caught small bass on big baits.

We need good advice and friendship on the board, not name calling. If you think others' logic for fishing tactics is flawed, just say so and why and maybe a healthy debate will ensue. Let's not make excuses for being rude.

what exactly are you talking about and to who? i'm confused... i think you're posting in the wrong thread Rich  :-/

this seems to be an educational thread, he's taking advice on tactis to pursue "the one that got away"

yea, I can read too... I know what he caught it on

sure a smaller bait WILL catch a bigger fish, hell... my dad and i used a floating crankbait tied to a jig as a buoy marker once and saw it get destroyed by a huge bass just sitting there, many things WILL catch big bass, things you've haven't even considered i'm sure. But if you don't agree that your chances are much greater with a bigger bait, well sorry but you're just dumb, that all there is to it, I tell it like it is.

like it was stated, fatter blades, more distribution of vibrations, it's pretty much common sense when comparing blades if you just lay the different types out next to each other on a table or something.

Good luck, post the picture in a few years when you finally get 'em! :P

Trevor I think he is talking about the comment above.  The only problem is if you call someone out you shouldn't be making similar comments.

Trev, take it easy, I'll be using the larger baits, no doubt. I never disagreed with the big bait/big fish thing. Of course that is the case, most times. I'm just not going to totally change up my usual tackle and methods, thats all. ;)

^^  I know youre just trying to help out Trev.